Teaching apes to use the internet.

In summary, the article discusses cybernetic monkeys that were able to learn to program using a touch screen computer. The apes are able to do this better than most monkeys, and it is possible to engage as many as you like. Testing is also an area in which apes are better than most monkeys.
wasteofo2
They've taught apes sign language, I can't imagine how teaching them to at least type would be ridiculously hard. Just imagine having apes on this forum, or anywhere on the internet. So far all the knowledge of apes has been kept to the apes, those who do sign language with them, and what the people tell us about the apes. I want to have a freaking discussion with a gorilla! Or better yet, I want to play online videogames with a gorilla. Just imagine all the fun you could have if monkeys and apes were taught to use the internet.

I'm sure you've all read the article about the cybernetic monkeys they made which could play videogames with their mind, Imagine a monkey playing counter strike or something as a special monkey character.

And anyone who's into psycology or anything would probabally have a blast analyzing a whole new species, just imagine how cool the psyche of a cimpanzee would be.

Science news on Phys.org
At first I thought your signature was weird, but you know, you're right, it would be interesting to have a conversation with an animal of any type. I really know very little about gorilla psychology, how complex of thoughts do we know they can have? I saw an ape on TV that had learned a simple symbolic language on a touch screen computer. When it requested things, it was quite specific: it hit the symbol/s for: ice water, ice and water, cold and water, or cold water or something like that, I can't remember exactly.

What dya mean, imagine apes being on this forum?

Yes, not only can apes program they can also handle: Web Development Services, Software writing, Outsourcing,Software maintenance, etc..

Visit the Primate Programming Institute
How many Primate Programmers can I engage at one time?

You can engage as many as you like. There is a definite advantage to engaging an entire social group or colony of related individuals. The advantage comes from increased communication and understanding between individuals within the group. This is explained in the brochure.

What about software testing?

Great apes (hominids) do not have tails, while monkeys do. Research indicates that great apes are very productive in the areas of software maintenance and report writing, while most monkeys will struggle. Monkeys however are great at software testing. So the rule of thumb is, if you don’t have a tail, you can probably program

We train our baboons specifically for software testing, using various industry-standard testing tools.

Last edited:
"Rule of thumb"? ROTFL !

Just look at the Bonzai Buddy (he is a tw*t!)!

Is this going to lead on to the ol' "Thousand monkeys with a thousand typewriters" malarky?? Everytime i hear that i think of that Simpsons episode

Mr. Burns: "and in this room there are a thousand monkeys with a thousand typewriters - I'm hoping that one day they will produce the complete works of Shakespeare *picks up a page from a typewriter* ..It was the best of times, it was the BLURST of times?? Stupid monkey!"

Or something to that effect :smile:

1. How do you teach apes to use the internet?

Teaching apes to use the internet involves a step-by-step process that starts with familiarizing them with technology and gradually introducing them to different devices and applications. This is followed by training them to use a keyboard and mouse, and teaching them basic internet skills such as navigating websites and using search engines.

2. Can apes really learn to use the internet?

Yes, apes have shown the ability to learn and use technology, including the internet. Studies have shown that apes possess cognitive abilities that allow them to understand and use technology, and with proper training and guidance, they can become proficient internet users.

3. What are the benefits of teaching apes to use the internet?

Teaching apes to use the internet can have several benefits, such as enhancing their cognitive and problem-solving skills, improving their communication abilities, and providing them with opportunities for enrichment and mental stimulation. It can also help researchers better understand the cognitive abilities of apes and their potential for learning and using technology.

4. Are there any ethical concerns with teaching apes to use the internet?

There are some ethical concerns surrounding teaching apes to use the internet, such as the potential exploitation of apes for human entertainment or commercial gain. It is important for researchers to adhere to ethical guidelines and ensure the well-being and welfare of the apes during the training and use of technology.

5. What are the potential applications of teaching apes to use the internet?

The potential applications of teaching apes to use the internet are vast and varied. They can be trained to use the internet for communication, educational purposes, and even to assist humans in tasks such as data entry or information retrieval. Additionally, the skills and knowledge gained from internet use can also help in the conservation and protection of apes in their natural habitats.