Uniform semicircular lamina question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ratio M:m in a uniform semicircular lamina with a particle attached to it, where the center of mass is at the midpoint of the line connecting the particle and the center of the lamina. The process involves finding the center of mass and using the ratio of masses to determine the ratio M:m in terms of pi.
brandon26
Can someone please explain to me how to start off this question?

A uniform semicircular lamina has mass M. A is the midpoint of the diameter and B is on the circumference at the other end of the axis of symetry. A particle of mass m is attached to the lamina at B. The centre of mass of the loaded lamina is at the midpoint of AB. Find in terms of pie, the ration M:m .

Some one please help quickly:confused: :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect it is supposed to be in terms of pi, not pie!

1) Find the center of mass of the uniform lamina: it will be, of course, on the line AB. I don't know whether you are given a formula for that or if you are expected to do the integration to it.
2) The center of mass of two objects lies on the line between then dividing the line into segments or ratio m/(m+M) and M/(m+M). You are told that that is the midpoint of the radius of the circle. You can calculate ratio M:m from that.

1. What is a uniform semicircular lamina?

A uniform semicircular lamina is a two-dimensional, circular-shaped object with a uniform thickness and density throughout its entire surface. It can be thought of as a slice of a three-dimensional, circular object.

2. What are some examples of a uniform semicircular lamina?

Some examples of a uniform semicircular lamina include coins, CDs or DVDs, and Frisbees.

3. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a uniform semicircular lamina?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a uniform semicircular lamina is I = (1/2)mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the lamina, and r is the radius of the lamina.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a uniform semicircular lamina compare to that of a uniform circular disc?

The moment of inertia of a uniform semicircular lamina is half that of a uniform circular disc with the same mass and radius. This is because the semicircular lamina only covers half the area of a circular disc.

5. What is the significance of a uniform semicircular lamina in physics?

Uniform semicircular laminas are important in physics because they demonstrate the principles of rotational motion and moment of inertia. They can also be used to model and analyze the behavior of more complex objects, such as wheels and gears, in physics problems.