Diamagnetism vs. paramagnetism

In summary, Lenz's Law states that when a diamagnetic material is exposed to an increasing magnetic field, its spins will orient in the opposite direction to reduce the net field inside the material. This is a direct consequence of the conservation of energy and is a well-established concept in classical electromagnetism. While it may be considered a phenomenology, it is supported by mathematical formulations and is part of Maxwell's equations. It explains the behavior of diamagnetic materials and cannot be dismissed as a hand-waving argument.
apiri
Simple question, kind of. I know that paramagnetic materials, when in the presence of a magnetic field will have its dipoles orient with the field while diamagnetic materials when introduced to a magnetic field orient opposite to the field. I've read that this has something to do with Lentz's Law, but is there someone that could help put this in slightly better perspective?

Engineering news on Phys.org
apiri said:
Simple question, kind of. I know that paramagnetic materials, when in the presence of a magnetic field will have its dipoles orient with the field while diamagnetic materials when introduced to a magnetic field orient opposite to the field. I've read that this has something to do with Lentz's Law, but is there someone that could help put this in slightly better perspective?

http://www.cmp.liv.ac.uk/frink/thesis/thesis/node35.html

Lenz's law makes things oppose the change of applied field. So when a diamagnetric material experiences and increasing field, it lines up its spins in the opposite direction to reduce the net field inside the material. This is not really an explanation. More of a hand-waving argument.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Lenz's law makes things oppose the change of applied field. So when a diamagnetric material experiences and increasing field, it lines up its spins in the opposite direction to reduce the net field inside the material. This is not really an explanation. More of a hand-waving argument.

I don't think we can dismiss Lenz's law simply as "hand-waving". For one, it has a very detailed mathematical formulation. This implies it makes quantitative description and predictions. Hand-waving arguments very seldom have that.

It is also a direct consequence of the conservation of energy. Now that principle is certainly not hand-waving.

It is also from one of Maxwell's equations. So it is part of a well-established formulation of classical E&M.

What you might have wanted to say was that it is a phenomenology, which I have no arguments with. Classical E&M, as per Maxwell equations, is really phenomenology - none of those equations can be derived from classical First Principles formulations. Coulomb's law, for example, was not derived - it is a description of a phenomena.

[I purposely did not bring QED into this.]

Zz.

I never meant that Lenz's Law was a hand waving argument. I was talking about mine. My argument didn't explain what made a certain material diamagnetic.

i forget what lenz's law is. But wouldn't it have to do with the molecular orbital and if the outer orbital of a molecular orbital structure was paired or not.

1. What is the main difference between diamagnetism and paramagnetism?

Diamagnetism and paramagnetism are both types of magnetism, but the main difference between them is how they respond to an external magnetic field. Diamagnetic materials are repelled by a magnetic field, while paramagnetic materials are attracted to a magnetic field.

2. How do diamagnetism and paramagnetism differ in terms of their atomic and molecular properties?

In diamagnetic materials, all the electrons are paired up and their magnetic fields cancel each other out, resulting in no net magnetic moment. In paramagnetic materials, some of the electrons are unpaired and their magnetic fields align with the external magnetic field, creating a net magnetic moment.

3. Can a material exhibit both diamagnetic and paramagnetic properties?

Yes, some materials can exhibit both diamagnetic and paramagnetic properties depending on the strength of the external magnetic field. At low magnetic fields, these materials may exhibit diamagnetic behavior, but at higher magnetic fields, they can become paramagnetic.

4. How are diamagnetism and paramagnetism related to superconductivity?

Diamagnetic materials are often used in superconductors as they are able to expel magnetic fields and maintain a constant magnetic flux. Paramagnetic materials, on the other hand, can disrupt superconductivity by creating magnetic fields that oppose the superconducting state.

5. Can diamagnetism and paramagnetism be observed in everyday objects?

Yes, both diamagnetism and paramagnetism can be observed in everyday objects. Diamagnetic materials, such as water and copper, are commonly found in household items. Paramagnetic materials, such as aluminum and platinum, are also used in various products, including electronics and jewelry.