What is the prime Ulam #'s ratio?

• Thread starter an_tall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, Ulam numbers are numbers that can be written uniquely as the sum of two distinct Ulam numbers. To generate a list of Ulam numbers, a formula or program can be used. The first 20 Ulam numbers can be found using a TI-83 calculator or by manually generating them. It is possible to find all Ulam numbers less than a given number, with 1000 being used as an example. It is also possible to determine how many of these Ulam numbers are prime, which are numbers divisible only by itself and one. The definition of prime is also referenced in the Ulam numbers concept.
an_tall
What are Ulam #'s? A ulam #, if an only if it can be written uniquely as the sumof two distinct Ulam #'s. ?

I need to make a list of the firts 20 Ulam #'s. I got the first 8. It's there any formanula or something easy to do it?

How many Ulam number are thre? Prove answer

EXTRA HELP!

Write a program that will generate all Ulam #'s less than a given number n. Use your progam to find all the Ulam numbers less than 1000. I am not good with calculator plus I don't have manual, I have a TI-83.:confused:

How many are there? ?

What portion of these are prime? Prime is a number divisible by one and by itself only... right?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are Ulam numbers?

Ulam numbers, also known as Ulam's spiral or Ulam's sieve, are a sequence of numbers that are arranged in a spiral pattern on a grid. The sequence starts with 1 in the center and then spirals outward, with each subsequent number being the smallest number that cannot be written as the sum of two distinct previously occurring Ulam numbers.

2. How are Ulam numbers related to prime numbers?

Ulam numbers are closely related to prime numbers, as they are a subset of the prime numbers. Every Ulam number that is not 1 is a prime number. However, not all prime numbers are Ulam numbers.

3. How can a calculator be used to generate Ulam numbers?

A calculator can be used to generate Ulam numbers by first drawing a grid and starting with 1 in the center. Then, starting from 2, each number is checked to see if it can be written as the sum of two distinct previously occurring Ulam numbers. If it cannot, it is added to the grid in a spiral pattern. This process is repeated until the desired number of Ulam numbers is generated.

4. Are there any patterns or properties of Ulam numbers?

There are numerous patterns and properties of Ulam numbers that have been discovered, but there is still much to be explored and understood. Some interesting observations include the fact that the number of Ulam numbers less than or equal to n is approximately n/log(n), and that there are infinitely many Ulam numbers that are also Fibonacci numbers.

5. What are some real-world applications of Ulam numbers?

Ulam numbers have been used in various areas of mathematics and computer science, such as number theory, graph theory, and cryptography. They have also been used in the design of efficient algorithms and in the study of chaotic systems. Additionally, Ulam numbers have been used in the creation of art and visualizations, as their spiral pattern is aesthetically pleasing and can be found in various natural phenomena.