Logarithms: Solving for Log(3) 25 and Finding Log(3) 75 and Log(5) 75

In summary, the conversation is about a question on finding the ceiling of log(3) 75 without using a calculator or table. The speaker has shown that 2 < log(3) 25 < 3 and is asking for further help. They have also calculated log(5) 75 in terms of log(3)5. The expert provides a rule for solving logarithms and concludes that log_5 75 = \frac{log_3 75}{log_3 5}.
craig100
Hello there, I am wondering if you could offer some help on this questoin, I have been attempting to work through it, however cannot see exactly what route I should be taking to try and solve it;
Without using a calculator or table, show that;
2 < log(3) 25 < 3 (log to the base 3 of 25)
and hence find the ceiling of log(3) 75
Also calculate log(5) 75 in terms of log(3)5
Thankyou for any help you can provide.
Craig :)

Edit:

Sorry i forgot to mention, what i have done so far is;

Shown that 3^3 = 27 and 3^2 = 9, this is simply setting log(3)x = 3 and 2 and i get a values in which 25 lies in

9 < 25 < 27

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My logarithm knowledge is kind of sketchy but I think this is right:

[tex]x = log_3 25[/tex]

[tex]3^x = 25[/tex]

If x were 3 then RHS would be 27, if it were 2 then RHS would be 9, since 25 is between these values then so is x.

Q2:

I think there is a rule that goes something like this (someone please confirm):

[tex]log_x y = \frac{log_a y}{log_a x}[/tex] (where a can be anything you like).

So

[tex]log_5 75 = \frac{log_3 75}{log_3 5}[/tex]

Last edited:

What are logarithms and how are they used?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that are used to solve exponential equations. They help us find the unknown value (or variable) in an exponential equation by using a base number and an exponent.

How do I solve for Log(3) 25?

To solve for Log(3) 25, we need to find the power that 3 needs to be raised to in order to equal 25. In other words, we need to find the exponent in the equation 3^x = 25. By trial and error, we can see that 3^2 = 9 and 3^3 = 27. Therefore, Log(3) 25 is between 2 and 3. Using a calculator, we can find that Log(3) 25 is approximately 2.71.

How do I find Log(3) 75?

To find Log(3) 75, we follow the same process as above. We need to find the exponent in the equation 3^x = 75. By trial and error, we can see that 3^4 = 81 and 3^5 = 243. Therefore, Log(3) 75 is between 4 and 5. Using a calculator, we can find that Log(3) 75 is approximately 4.92.

What is the difference between Log(3) 25 and Log(5) 75?

The only difference between these two expressions is the base number. Log(3) 25 means we are finding the power that 3 needs to be raised to in order to equal 25. Log(5) 75 means we are finding the power that 5 needs to be raised to in order to equal 75. The process of solving for these logarithms is the same, but the answers will be different because of the different base numbers.

Why are logarithms important in science?

Logarithms are important in science because they allow us to easily solve complex exponential equations that often arise in scientific studies. They are also used in a variety of fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, and engineering to analyze and interpret data. Additionally, logarithms have practical applications in areas such as earthquake magnitude, sound intensity, and pH levels.