Evaluate the definite integral for the area of the surface.

In summary, to evaluate the definite integral for the area of the surface generated by revolving the curve about the x-axis, you first find the derivative of the curve and then plug it into the equation 2π∫[r(x)](1+[f'(x)2]) where r(x) is the function of the curve. However, to get rid of the radical, you must use the correct derivative of f(x) and then expand it to put everything over a common denominator. This will allow you to make an equation that is being squared, which will cancel out the root.
lude1

Homework Statement

Evaluate the definite integral for the area of the surface generated by revolving the curve about the x-axis.

y=(x3/6) + (1/2x), [1,2]

Homework Equations

2π∫[r(x)](1+[f'(x)2])

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the derivative.

f'(x)= (x2/2) + (1/2x2)dx​

And since y is a function of x, r(x) is

r(x)= (x3/6) + (1/2x)​

Then I plug everything in and get

2π∫ [(x3/6) + (1/2x)] * {1 + [(x2/2) + (1/2x2)]2}1/2}dx​

And then I'm stuck. The book tells me that I am suppose to get

2π∫ [(x3/6) + (1/2x)] * [(x2/2) + (1/2x2)]dx​

But I have no idea how they got that. Specifically, I don't know how they got rid of the radical...

Physics news on Phys.org
For starters you derived it wrong, the derivative of f(x) is f'(x)=x2/2-1/2x2. Maybe this is the problem. Unless you just wrote your f(x) wrong.

Edit: Yes that is the problem, use the correct f'(x), and then expand f'(x)2 and put everything over a common denominator, and then you can make an equation which is being squared that is equal to that, and then the root cancels out the squares.

Last edited:

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve or the volume of a solid object. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has a lower and upper limit which determines the range of values to be integrated.

2. How do you evaluate a definite integral?

To evaluate a definite integral, you must first find the anti-derivative of the function being integrated. Then, substitute the upper and lower limits into the anti-derivative and subtract the result of the lower limit from the result of the upper limit.

3. What is the purpose of evaluating a definite integral for the area of a surface?

The purpose of evaluating a definite integral for the area of a surface is to find the total area of a curved or irregular surface. This is useful in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and construction, as it allows for accurate calculations of surface areas for various purposes.

4. What are the key factors to consider when evaluating a definite integral for the area of a surface?

The key factors to consider when evaluating a definite integral for the area of a surface are the function being integrated, the upper and lower limits, and the accuracy of the calculation. It is also important to consider the units of measurement and whether they are consistent throughout the calculation.

5. Can a definite integral be used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object?

Yes, a definite integral can be used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object. This is known as a triple integral, where the function being integrated has three variables and the limits represent the three dimensions of the object. This concept is commonly used in calculus and engineering.