Flower power - embarras de richesse

• Thread starter Marzena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the first three pictures are of different types of flowers, and the last one is a starry night shot. The second picture is of something close up that is difficult to take, and the third picture is of a digital shot. The last two pictures are about the pictures themselves and how they are made. The last one is about artists and their motives.
Marzena
niezapominajki.jpg

domowy_marzena.jpg

dzwonek_marzena.jpg

fiol_marzena.jpg

mieszaniec.jpg

oczka_marzena.jpg

oset_marzena.jpg

rozowy_marzena.jpg

slonecznik_marzena.jpg

srodek_marzena.jpg

van_marzena.jpg

zoltlica_marzena.jpg

zolty_marzena.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I loved the first three ones and second last :!)

What are those in the first one? (Never saw them before :()

Last edited:
Wonderful shots, all, Marzena! You and Andre might be in for a fight to the death.

Here are some bluets. Tiny guys, not even 1/4" across.

bluets.jpg

rootX said:
What are those in the first one?

Forget-me-nots.

Marzena said:
srodek_marzena.jpg

Just realized - there was a typo in the url and the picture was not showing.

van_marzena.jpg

Vangogish :smile:

She has more and she can't make her mind, just like Andre...

Edit: thank you Kurdt :smile:

Last edited:
Wow! Like in Andre's thread, I can't decide.

Nice shots :smile:

Pardon me for my ignorance, but what exactly makes these pictures interesting?

misgfool said:
Pardon me for my ignorance, but what exactly makes these pictures interesting?

I guess to really get what's involved, you'd have to try to take a pic like this, of something really close-up. It's surprisingly difficult!

It is not that they are especially interesting (although some details catched are quite surprising), but Marzena has to select one for the Flower power competition - and they are all worth using.

lisab said:
I guess to really get what's involved, you'd have to try to take a pic like this, of something really close-up. It's surprisingly difficult!

I don't doubt that, but... so all these competitions are about picture taking technique?

Don't the picture comp rules state that no photo that has been previously uploaded on the site can be used? Doesn't this thread mean you've disqualified them all? :tongue2:

EDIT: Ahh only one use in a contest. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
misgfool said:
I don't doubt that, but... so all these competitions are about picture taking technique?
Technique, composition, artistic sense... They all play into the competition. Depending on the focal length, aperture, shutter speed, and available or filled light, results can range from flat and dull to wonderful.

For instance, if you use a large aperture, you generally get a shallower depth of field, meaning that things closer or farther than your point of focus (the subject) end up more or less out-of focus. You can use this effect to accent and isolate your subject, and you can over-use it to the point where the effect gets to be a bit "much". Some subjects really require a bit of context and use of an overly-shallow DOF can detract.

Thanks for testing out my new monitor, Marzena, and providing some beauty in my day.

Are these digital or film shots?

Digital, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7.

turbo-1 said:
Technique, composition, artistic sense... They all play into the competition. Depending on the focal length, aperture, shutter speed, and available or filled light, results can range from flat and dull to wonderful.

Maybe I have misunderstood this, but shouldn't art try to convey some message?

misgfool said:
Maybe I have misunderstood this, but shouldn't art try to convey some message?
Sometimes "art" is what one finds appealing, apart from any "message". When I see a well-composed image of a flower with interesting lighting, etc, I don't try to ascribe any meaning to it, any more than I would try to ascribe some meaning to the composition "Classical Gas". Just enjoy it for what it is.

i'm not a big fan of art as message/politics. beauty is universal. the poorer the art, the more message it needs to sell.

Proton Soup said:
i'm not a big fan of art as message/politics. beauty is universal. the poorer the art, the more message it needs to sell.
Astute observation. The concept that "the artist was trying to convey this" is often pushed by critics. I can look at Van Gogh's "Starry Night" or "Sunflowers" without trying to ascribe some motive to them apart from the artist's joy in the creative process. Lots of art was subsidized by wealthy patrons centuries ago, but much of the stuff that captures our imaginations was avante-garde, stuff done for the love of it. Vincent was floored when he found out that he was making a living (just barely!) because his brother Theo was quietly buying his paintings and stacking them under his bed.

turbo-1 said:
Astute observation. The concept that "the artist was trying to convey this" is often pushed by critics. I can look at Van Gogh's "Starry Night" or "Sunflowers" without trying to ascribe some motive to them apart from the artist's joy in the creative process. Lots of art was subsidized by wealthy patrons centuries ago, but much of the stuff that captures our imaginations was avante-garde, stuff done for the love of it. Vincent was floored when he found out that he was making a living (just barely!) because his brother Theo was quietly buying his paintings and stacking them under his bed.

lol, that's another sign of a great artist. no one appreciates you until you're dead!

actually, i think a lot of it is simply art dealers conning buyers.

Proton Soup said:

I can't see beauty in a static 2D picture, when I have seen and felt the real thing. You would have to have really unique and special (new) object for a picture to have any value. So you really need the message. Or maybe beauty isn't universal after all.

misgfool said:
I can't see beauty in a static 2D picture, when I have seen and felt the real thing. You would have to have really unique and special (new) object for a picture to have any value. So you really need the message. Or maybe beauty isn't universal after all.

not all art is of real things. is there really no art that pleases you?

Proton Soup said:
not all art is of real things. is there really no art that pleases you?

Of course there is. I love an intellectually stimulating story, message or beauty with novelty.

misgfool said:
Of course there is. I love an intellectually stimulating story, message or beauty with novelty.

i should've clarified. visual arts, not prose and poetry.

Proton Soup said:
i should've clarified. visual arts, not prose and poetry.

When I was in school, we were taught that a picture says more than a thousand words. Visual art is as much of an story as is a written one. It is just an alternative way of expression.

How does photography compare to other visual arts - i.e., an image made with the click of a shutter, vs. a painting created over years of scrupulous work?

Loren Booda said:
How does photography compare to other visual arts - i.e., an image made with the click of a shutter, vs. a painting created over years of scrupulous work?
Photography can be done with a "click" as in automated snap-shots at a family picnic, or it can be done with careful composition, lighting, selection of aperture, shutter-speed, etc. I can guarantee you that if you started contracting yourself to do wedding photography, you'd gain a real appreciation for the artistry required and the ability to adapt on-the-fly to changing conditions. If the output is not superior, you don't get references, and you don't get work. I did wedding photography when digital was not even remotely an option, so there was the added restriction of being locked into the ISO of whatever film was loaded in the camera at the time.

Google "Ansel Adams" and see if you can justify down-grading his work (compared to painting) based on the fact that he used cameras, glass plates, processing, and printing techniques. His work is high art.

turbo-1 said:
Google "Ansel Adams" and see if you can justify down-grading his work (compared to painting) based on the fact that he used cameras, glass plates, processing, and printing techniques. His work is high art.

Not to mention Matthew Brady, in his own "light." Then there are the common "Brownie" cameras that challenge(d) anew photographers to the primitive box.

I was considering, in part, the prolific rise in images nowadays versus the rare appreciation by pioneers like Ansel Adams. (Personally, I can name a dozen excellent painters since the advent of photography, but perhaps no outstanding photographers beyond those two aforementioned.) It seems that the products of cameras outnumber greatly drawings and paintings - quantity vs. quality?.

Of recent, news photographers seem to get more recognition than others. For cinematography, nature themes have amazingly improved continuously since "Wild Kingdom." But truly, I cannot say that as a rule the best photographers have the artistry which the (other) best visual artists possess. One has to be in the right place at the right time.

Loren Booda said:
But truly, I cannot say that as a rule the best photographers have the artistry which the (other) best visual artists possess. One has to be in the right place at the right time.

There is some truth to it, no doubt about it. However, if you will browse the pictures submitted to our own (PF) contests you will see that there are larkspur pictures and pictures of the rest of the crowd. I don't think Andre or Turbo are technically weaker than larkspur (and if i have not mentioned others that's only because I have never discussed technicalities with those others, so I have no idea what their level of knowledge is), but her pictures are from completely different world.

I think it was Hypatia who once wrote "I wan't to live in the world as larkspur sees it". That's it :smile:

Last edited:
I don't vote for any pics present in this thread too :wink:

1. What is "Flower power - embarras de richesse"?

"Flower power - embarras de richesse" is a term used to describe the abundance of flowers in a particular area or during a specific time period. It is often associated with the counterculture movement of the 1960s, which promoted peace, love, and harmony through the use of flowers and other symbols.

2. How did the term "Flower power" originate?

The term "Flower power" was coined by the American poet Allen Ginsberg in 1965 during a protest against the Vietnam War. It was later popularized by the band The Byrds in their song "Turn! Turn! Turn!" and became a symbol of the counterculture movement.

3. What is the significance of flowers in the counterculture movement?

Flowers were seen as a peaceful and nonviolent way to protest against war and promote love and unity. They were also used as a symbol of rebellion against traditional societal norms and values.

4. How did "Flower power" impact society?

The concept of "Flower power" had a significant impact on society, particularly in the 1960s. It challenged traditional beliefs and promoted a more peaceful and loving approach to social and political issues. It also paved the way for the environmental and feminist movements of the 1970s.

5. Is "Flower power" still relevant today?

While the counterculture movement of the 1960s has come and gone, the concept of "Flower power" continues to hold significance today. It serves as a reminder of the power of peaceful protest and the importance of promoting love and unity in the face of adversity.