Electric Field Vanishing at Infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of finding regions in which the electric field is zero at a finite distance from the charges. The formula E=kq/r^2 is mentioned, but the discussion focuses on understanding how to incorporate multiple charges into the equation by drawing arrows representing the individual contributions from each charge and adding them as vectors. The four choices presented are analyzed and it is determined that A) to the right of point C and C) to the left of point A are the only regions where the electric field can potentially be zero.
ihearyourecho

Homework Statement

The electric field on the dashed line in the figure vanishes at infinity, but also at two different points a finite distance from the charges.

Identify the regions in which you can find E = 0 at a finite distance from the charges.

Check all that apply:
A)to the right of point C
B)between points A and B
C)to the left of point A
D) between points B and C

See Image:
http://tinypic.com/r/15g8o6w/6

Homework Equations

E=kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm afraid that all I know is the formula, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to apply it. Am I supposed to set E=0 or.. what? I feel like all I need is some direction in how to start and then I'll be able to get it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given four choices. Pick the first one and draw the electric field contributions from each of the three charges at the point as described. Can these arrows conceivably add up to give you zero?

I guess what I don't understand is how to incorporate multiple charges into the equation. It just has room for one q. The way you're saying, don't I need to try to find the electric field between two of the charges?

I would put A and C for that problem since you can interpret an Efield in terms of vectors.

The direction of the Efield would be that in which a Positive Charge would flow towards... Let's look at it now.

A) To the right of Point C
Lets Analyze it: If you put a positive charge, it will be repelled by the E field from B and C but attracted by that of A *therefore allowing it to eventually reach static equilibrium once its far enough from A in order for b and c to cancel the Efield of A*

B) Between points A and B

A will attract it but B and C will push it to the left, therefore it would not reach electrostatic equilibrium in the middle of the two charges (since ALL CHARGES ARE OF EQUAL MAGNITUDE)

I wasnt that clear... ask me if you don't understand what I said (I tend to ramble a lot :D)

I might be wrong with this explanation though, but I would put that on a test

ihearyourecho said:
I guess what I don't understand is how to incorporate multiple charges into the equation. It just has room for one q.
I suppose you are referring to E = kq/r2. That is is the magnitude of the electric field of a single point charge at distance r and the field itself can be represented by an arrow pointing in the appropriate direction. If you have two point charges, each of the charges contributes its own arrow at that point so you need to draw two arrows and add them as vectors.
The way you're saying, don't I need to try to find the electric field between two of the charges?
I am saying that in each region of space you need to draw three arrows representing the individual contributions from each charge. Then figure out if these arrows can conceivably add up to zero. For example, if all three arrows point in the same direction, they cannot add up to zero, can they? "Finding" the electric field involves adding the contributions from each charge as vectors.

1. What is meant by "Electric Field Vanishing at Infinity"?

The concept of "Electric Field Vanishing at Infinity" refers to the phenomenon in which the electric field strength decreases to zero as the distance from the source of the field increases towards infinity.

2. Why does the electric field vanish at infinity?

The electric field vanishes at infinity because the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. As the distance increases towards infinity, the electric field strength decreases to zero.

3. How is "Electric Field Vanishing at Infinity" related to the concept of electric potential?

The concept of "Electric Field Vanishing at Infinity" is related to electric potential because electric potential is a measure of the work done in moving a unit charge from infinity to a specific point in the electric field. When the electric field vanishes at infinity, the electric potential at that point is also zero.

4. Does the electric field always vanish at infinity?

No, the electric field does not always vanish at infinity. It depends on the distribution of the electric charges and the distance from the source. In some cases, the electric field may not completely vanish at infinity, but it may approach a very small value.

5. How does the concept of "Electric Field Vanishing at Infinity" impact everyday life?

The concept of "Electric Field Vanishing at Infinity" has practical applications in everyday life, such as in electrical engineering and telecommunications. It helps in understanding the behavior of electric fields and designing systems that utilize them, such as antennas and power lines. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the propagation of electromagnetic waves in free space.