Rate of Field Change for Induced Current of Loop

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the rate of change of a magnetic field in order to achieve a specific induced current in a single conducting loop of wire. The conversation includes discussions about the equations involved, possible errors in calculations, and confusion about the given information. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with the realization that the website may have incorrect requirements for the number of significant figures needed.
tevatron1

Homework Statement

A single conducting loop of wire has an area of 8.0×10−2 m^2 and a resistance of 110 Ω. Perpendicular to the plane of the loop is a magnetic field of strength 0.37 T.

At what rate (in T/s) must this field change if the induced current in the loop is to be 0.33 A?

Homework Equations

Trying to solve for ΔB/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

We have a change in magnetic flux, but it seems to be due to ΔB rather than ΔA, so Δflux = ΔB*Acosθ (However since cos(90) = 0, I'm not sure if this will be correct).

Using Faraday's Law |ε| = N|(Δflux/Δt)|
Substituted Δflux = ΔB*A into Faraday's Law --> ε = N(ΔB*A/Δt)
Substituted the equation for the induced EMF into I = |ε|/R and solved for ΔB/Δt
ΔB/Δt = I*R/A (N=1 because the loop has 1 turn)

453.75 T/s = (.33A)*(110Ω)/(8.0*10^-2 m^2)
asks for 2 significant digits -> 450 T/s = Final Answer

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
tevatron1 said:

Homework Statement

We have a change in magnetic flux, but it seems to be due to ΔB rather than ΔA, so Δflux = ΔB*Acosθ (However since cos(90) = 0, I'm not sure if this will be correct).
[/b]

θ would not be 90 as Area vector and B make 0 angle

kushan said:
θ would not be 90 as Area vector and B make 0 angle

Okay, then cos(0) = 1, which would prove that my assumption Δflux = ΔB*A*cos(0) = Δflux = ΔB*A

How does the rest of my thought process look?

as as i know you are doing correctly ,
where are you stuck ?

kushan said:
as as i know you are doing correctly ,
where are you stuck ?

Mastering Physics tells me this is the wrong answer, though it does not give any explanation as to why.

what is " mastering physics "

kushan said:
what is " mastering physics "

It's the online website for our physics homework. When you enter your answer, you are told whether or not your answer is correct. You are given 5 attempts, during which the points you earn diminish.

Even I am in confusion as they have given magnitude of magnetic field
(which means a constant field ) but asking find at what rate it would vary

kushan said:
Even I am in confusion as they have given magnitude of magnetic field
(which means a constant field ) but asking find at what rate it would vary

Yes, I noticed this as well. I purposely left that out of my equation as we are attempting to solve for ΔB/Δt. I assume it's the authors of the homework trying to trick us into thinking the value is necessary. Though I cannot see how it could be.

I am sorry as I fail to help you further with this problem

You know the resistance of the loop and you know the current so you should be able to find the induced emf

"I am sorry as I fail to help you further with this problem "

Thanks, Kushan. I appreciate your help. I think there might be an issue with the website. It wouldn't be the first time.

Technician: You might notice that is exactly what I attempted to do... No worries though.

As it turns out, the website wanted a different number of significant figures. Albeit, an incorrect number with the given information...

Thank god

What is the "rate of field change" for induced current in a loop?

The "rate of field change" refers to the speed at which the magnetic field passing through a loop changes. This change in magnetic field induces an electric current in the loop.

How is the rate of field change measured?

The rate of field change is typically measured in units of tesla per second (T/s) or weber per second (Wb/s). It can also be expressed in terms of frequency, measured in hertz (Hz).

What factors affect the rate of field change for induced current in a loop?

The rate of field change is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the loop, and the speed at which the magnetic field changes. It is also affected by the electrical resistance and inductance of the loop.

What is the significance of the rate of field change in electromagnetic induction?

The rate of field change is a crucial factor in electromagnetic induction, as it determines the magnitude of the induced current in a loop. A faster rate of field change will result in a larger induced current, while a slower rate of field change will result in a smaller induced current.

How is the rate of field change for induced current in a loop used in real-world applications?

The phenomenon of electromagnetic induction, and the rate of field change for induced current in a loop, is utilized in a variety of devices and technologies such as generators, transformers, and motors. It is also used in wireless charging technology and magnetic levitation systems.