Test Lie Group: Show it Forms a Lie Group

In summary, the author is trying to find a Lie group for a toy example, and first checks if the map t\mapsto f_t is one to one. If it is, the group is a group and the map t\mapsto R(t) is a 1-to-1 map. Next, the author needs to figure out how the group operation (composition of functions) can be expressed in terms of the parameters. If the composition law is differentiable, the group is a Lie group; if not, the author needs to study topology.
mnb96
Hello,

if I have a set of functions of the kind [itex]\{ f_t | f_t:\mathbb{R}^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2 \; ,t\in \mathbb{R} \}[/itex], where t is a real scalar parameter. The operation I consider is the composition of functions. What should I do in order to show that it forms a Lie Group?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First check if you have a group. Then check if the map [itex]t\mapsto f_t[/itex] is one to one. Next steps will depend on the results of these two.

Thanks arkajad,

let's consider a toy example, in which we have that each ft is a linear function ℝ2→ℝ2 given by a counter-clockwise rotation of angle t around the origin, where t is in the range [0,2π). Each ft can effectively be represented as a 2x2 matrix, and the composition would be given by matrix multiplication.

Matrix multiplication is associative, and for any pair of rotation matrices the composition yields another rotation matrix in the set, so we have closure too. Moreover we have an identity element which is f0, and also an inverse which is f2π-t ===> so, we have a group.

We also consider the map [itex]t \mapsto R(t)[/itex], where R(t) is a 2x2 rotation matrix and t is the angle parameter. The map is clearly 1-to-1, provided t is in the range [0,2pi).

Now, what else do we need?

Now you want it to be a Lie group. So it needs to be a manifold. In this case you need first to convince yourself that the circle (because effectively you are dealing with a circle here) is naturally a manifold, according to the definition of a smooth manifold (Hint: in this case it will be one-dimensional).
Next step will come after you are done with this exercise.

I see...so I have to prove basically that I am dealing with a group, that is also a differentiable manifold. Unfortunately I feel I start walking on thin cracking ice.
The definitions of differentiable manifolds that I can find seem to be very abstract, and in order to truly understand them it seems to me that one has to recursively "unwrap" quite many concepts in topology.

Before giving up, I can make an intuitive non-rigorous attempt.
I would take one generic point in ℝ2, say x=(x0,y0), and then consider its orbit under the action of the rotation group. The orbit is a circle (we can prove it easily), and thanks to the bijective mapping t↦R(t) mentioned before, each point of the orbit can be identified with a specific value of t. That effectively means we have parametrized a 1-dimensional curve in ℝ2 with the parameter t. I would then simply try to prove analytically that by varying t, the curve is smooth.

Does it go along those lines?

In fact you want to give your group a parametrization. For this you do not have to consider orbits. You have your parametrization already: it is your t. Composition law in the group is effectively that of [itex]t+t'[/itex] modulo [itex]2 \pi[/itex]. So, roughly speaking, all you need to do is checking that this composition law is differentiable (and also the inverse operation [itex]t\mapsto 2\pi -t[/itex]). And addition of real numbers is differentiable in both variables. The only subtle point is "modulo [itex]2 \pi[/itex]" part. It needs some mathematical precision, like covering the circle with two overlaping open segments - you can leave it aside for a while.

Last edited:
ok, thanks!

so if my group is parametrized by say two parameters u, v, then I have to figure out how the group operation (composition of functions in our previous case) can be expressed in terms of the parameters u, v. In general, the composition will be [itex]\phi:(U\times V)\times (U\times V) \rightarrow (U\times V)[/itex], so basically I have to check that the 4-variable function:
[tex]\phi(u_1,v_1,u_2,v_2)[/tex]
is differentiable with respect to all the four variables.
Am I right?
If so, how am I supposed to do the same test for the inverse operation? Do I simply consider the function
[tex]\phi(f(u_1),f(v_1),f(u_2),f(v_2))[/tex], where f denotes the inverse operation (in terms of parameters), and check that it is differentiable?

Last edited:
In fact, checking the composition law is sufficient. See the attached image taken from P. M. Cohn, "Lie groups". ("Analytic" means that it can be expressed locally as a power series). So, it is more than just "differentiable". But usually, in applications, we are dealing with elementary functions that are analytic in this sense. Problems would arise with functions like "absolute value" which is not differentiable at 0.

Attachments

• LieGroup.jpg
    LieGroup.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
thanks a lot for the book excerpt!
everything should be clearer now, although I would need to study some topology...

1. What is a Lie group?

A Lie group is a type of mathematical group that is both a smooth manifold and a group, meaning it has both a continuous structure and a binary operation. It is named after the Norwegian mathematician Sophus Lie.

2. How do you show that a group forms a Lie group?

To show that a group forms a Lie group, you must demonstrate that it is a smooth manifold and that its group operations (multiplication and inversion) are smooth functions. This can be done by using the definition of a smooth manifold and verifying that the group's operations satisfy the necessary conditions.

3. What are some examples of Lie groups?

Some examples of Lie groups include the general linear group, special orthogonal group, unitary group, and symplectic group. These groups are important in many areas of mathematics and physics, including differential geometry, group theory, and quantum mechanics.

4. Can a non-abelian group be a Lie group?

Yes, a non-abelian group can be a Lie group. In fact, most Lie groups are non-abelian. The only abelian Lie groups are the one-dimensional groups, such as the real numbers under addition or the complex numbers under multiplication.

5. Why are Lie groups important in mathematics and physics?

Lie groups are important in mathematics and physics because they provide a powerful framework for studying symmetries and transformations. They are used to describe continuous symmetries in nature, such as rotations, translations, and dilations. This makes them essential in fields such as differential geometry, group theory, and quantum mechanics.