Problem in Vector Resolution and Component

In summary, vector resolution is the process of breaking down a vector into its components along the x and y axes. This is also known as the x-component and y-component of the vector. The projection of a vector on the x-axis is the shadow of the vector when a light source is placed directly above its end, while the projection on the y-axis is the shadow when the light source is placed directly to the right of its end. The magnitude of the x and y components of a vector can be found using the Pythagoras theorem, but the vector itself cannot be equated to its components. This is because a vector also has a direction, while its components do not. With practice, it is easy to understand the difference between a
avistein
I cannot understand what is vector resolution.It is said in the book that ON is the resolved part of A along X axis.It is also known as the x-component of A or the horizontal component of A.Ax may be regarded as the projection of A on X-axis. OM is the the resolved part of A along Y-axis.It is also known as the y-component of A or vertical component of A.The vertical component of A may be regarded as the projection of A on Y-axis.Now what is that projection? Is it the image of A on X-axis or Y axis?
Then why Ax+Ay=A and not A=Ax or A=Ay?If Ax and Ay are the images of A on X and Y resp. then the magnitude of Ax and Ay should be same as A,but no, why? Please explain me.I am very much confused.

Attachments

• vECTOR.jpg
    vECTOR.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
If A = (a,b), then the x-axis projection is (a,0) while the y-axis projection is (0,b).

It is quite simple - don't let the terminology confuse you.

Likes 1 person
vectors are simple

avistein said:
Now what is that projection? Is it the image of A on X-axis or Y axis?
Then why Ax+Ay=A and not A=Ax or A=Ay?If Ax and Ay are the images of A on X and Y resp. then the magnitude of Ax and Ay should be same as A,but no, why?

Don't get muddled up. Let, me explain what projection is. Say, the vector extends from (0,0) to (a.b). Suppose, you want projection on the x-axis, take a light source and place it directly above the end of the vector, the shadow would be at (a,0). Thus the projection of the vector extends from (0,0) to (a,0). similarly, y-component would extend from (0,0) to (0,b).
And, by the way Ax+Ay ≠ A. Using the Pythagoras theorem, (Ax)2+(Ay)2 = A2.
What the book might have meant would have been, was vector Ax+vector Ay = vector A. By writing vector, I am also considering the direction. While, above, I was only talking about magnitudes. With a little practice, you would easily understand the difference between the vector and it's magnitude. So, good luck!

Likes 1 person

What is a vector and how is it resolved into components?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It can be resolved into components by breaking it down into its horizontal and vertical components using trigonometry.

Why is vector resolution important in problem solving?

Vector resolution is important because it allows us to break down complex vectors into simpler components, making it easier to solve problems involving multiple forces or directions.

What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities only have magnitude, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction.

How do you find the resultant vector from two or more components?

To find the resultant vector, you need to add the individual components using vector addition. This can be done by adding the horizontal components together and the vertical components together, and then using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector.

Can vector resolution be used for non-right angled triangles?

Yes, vector resolution can be used for any triangle, not just right angled triangles. This can be done by using trigonometry to find the components of the vector in different directions.