Calculating Tangential Acceleration of an Astronaut in a Centrifuge

In summary, astronauts use a centrifuge to simulate rocket launch acceleration and in this scenario, the centrifuge takes 40.0 s to reach its top speed of 1 rotation every 1.30 s. The astronaut is seated 5.60 m from the axis. The question asks for the tangential acceleration of the astronaut during the first 40.0 s, but cannot be calculated without knowing the mass.
pureouchies4717
Astronauts use a centrifuge to simulate the acceleration of a rocket launch. The centrifuge takes 40.0 s to speed up from rest to its top speed of 1 rotation every 1.30 s. The astronaut is strapped into a seat 5.60 m from the axis.What is the astronaut's tangential acceleration during the first 40.0 s?

now, i know how to find a(c) and a(t) with mass, but they don't give mass in this problem

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
so here is what i have:

T= 1.3s
r= 5.6
tf= 40 s

Last edited:
if i had mass, i could just plug it into T=(mv^2)/r

v would be easy to find

ahhhhh 45 minutes. any help would be appreciated

1. What is centripetal motion?

Centripetal motion is the circular motion of an object around a central point or axis. It is caused by a center-seeking force, known as the centripetal force, which keeps the object moving in a curved path rather than a straight line.

2. How is centripetal motion related to Arg basic?

Arg basic is a programming language used for scientific and mathematical calculations. It has built-in functions and algorithms for solving problems related to centripetal motion, making it a useful tool for analyzing and understanding this type of motion.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of centripetal force?

The magnitude of centripetal force is affected by the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path. As these factors increase, the centripetal force also increases.

4. How does centripetal motion differ from centrifugal motion?

Centripetal motion is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal motion is the outward force that appears to push an object away from the center of the circle. In reality, centrifugal force is a fictitious force and is simply the result of inertia.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal motion?

Some examples of centripetal motion include the motion of planets around the sun, the rotation of a Ferris wheel, and the swinging of a pendulum. Any object that moves in a circular path is experiencing centripetal motion.