Mechanical Energy in a Closed System

In summary, the question is asking for the speed of a mass when it lands back at its point of projection, considering the effect of friction on its motion. The force acting on the mass is its weight plus the frictional force on its ascent, and its weight minus the frictional force on its descent. Using this information, the height and final velocity of the mass can be calculated.
Sisyphus
Hello homework forum,

I am working on some mechanical energy questions right now for Physics class, and I have a quick question.

A mass (1.00 kg) is projected vertically upwards at a speed of 40.0 m/s. There is a frictional force of 5.0 N acting on the mass.

The question that's bothering me is one that is asking the speed of the mass at the instant that it lands again at the point of projection: since h=0 here, would the frictional energy be 0? (since the work done against friction is the product of the force of friction and displacement) making the Mechanical Energy equal to Kinetic Energy?

This is kind of counter-intuitive to me as it seems that even at the instant of impact, the mass would have been acting against friction. Or is it that at the moment that the mass comes back to its point of projection, the work done against friction transfers to kinetic energy (much like how potential energy is being transferred into kinetic energy while the object is falling)?

I hope someone can make sense of my question here.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand the setup correctly then the force acting on the object as it rises is its weight plus the frictional force (acting downward) while on its descent the force is the weight minus the frictional force (again, acting downward). Can you use that to determine how high the onject rises and what its speed is at the time of impact with the ground?

Tide said:
If I understand the setup correctly then the force acting on the object as it rises is its weight plus the frictional force (acting downward) while on its descent the force is the weight minus the frictional force (again, acting downward). Can you use that to determine how high the onject rises and what its speed is at the time of impact with the ground?

Thanks for giving me a new way of looking at the problem. I think I have it now. (I get a height of 54m and a final velocity of 22.8 m/s)

1. What is mechanical energy in a closed system?

Mechanical energy in a closed system refers to the total amount of energy present in a system that is made up of particles interacting with each other through mechanical forces, such as collisions or elastic deformation. This energy can be in the form of kinetic energy (energy of motion) or potential energy (energy stored in the positions of particles).

2. How is mechanical energy conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, no energy is lost to the surroundings, so the total amount of mechanical energy remains constant. This is known as the principle of conservation of mechanical energy. This means that any changes in the system's kinetic or potential energy must be balanced by an equal and opposite change in the other form of energy.

3. Can mechanical energy be converted from one form to another in a closed system?

Yes, mechanical energy can be converted from one form to another in a closed system. For example, kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy when an object is lifted against gravity, and potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy when the object falls back down.

4. What are some real-life examples of mechanical energy in a closed system?

Some examples of mechanical energy in a closed system include a swinging pendulum, a bouncing ball, a spinning top, or a roller coaster. In each of these systems, the total amount of mechanical energy remains constant, but the energy is constantly being converted between kinetic and potential forms.

5. How does the law of conservation of energy relate to mechanical energy in a closed system?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This applies to mechanical energy in a closed system, where the total amount of energy remains constant but can be converted between kinetic and potential forms. This law is a fundamental principle in physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed physical phenomena.