Derivative of Inverse Functions

In summary, the first question on the first practice exam asks for the derivative of f-1 at x=-.5. The correct answer is -2.
KingNothing
let me start by saying that I'll be asking a lot of questions here soon as I'm preparing for a Calc BC AP test and I'm using practice exams to help.

On the first practice exam, the first question:
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/9390/q1graph5bt.png

Find the derivative of [tex]f^{-1}(x)[/tex] at [tex]x=-.5[/tex].
Check my logic:

Since (1.5,.5) is on the original graph, (.5, 1.5) is on the inverse graph. Since the derivative of F at 1.5 is -.5, the answer is the recipricol, -2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't right. It's not clear why you did what you did to arrive at your answer though.

I'm using two properties of inverses:
If (a,b) is on the graph of F, (b,a) is on the graph of its inverse.
The slope of F at (a,b) is recipricol of the slope of its inverse at (b,a)

Therefore, since we want to find the slope of the inverse at (b,a), we need to look at the slope of the original at (a,b).

I know -2 is the correct answer, but since I have just learned the properties tonight, I am not 100% sure that my logic is correct.

The question you've asked asks for the derivative of f-1 at x = 2. Nowhere in your work does "2" appear.

If x = 2, f-1(x) = f-1(2) = 0.5, so (2, 0.5) is on the graph of f-1. To find the slope at (2, 0.5), you need to first find the slope of f at (0.5, 2), then take the reciprocal. The slope of f at (0.5, 2) is 4, so the slope of f-1 at (2, 0.5) is 1/4.

You ask for the slope of f-1 at 2, but your work gives its slope at 0.5

Sorry, I meant to type at [tex]x=-.5[/tex]. A lot of confusion over nothing!

KingNothing said:
Sorry, I meant to type at [tex]x=-.5[/tex]. A lot of confusion over nothing!
I must be missing something! But I didn't find any x value such that f(x) = -.5 in the table! :frown:
Are you sure it's not x = .5? If x = .5, then you seem to be correct. :)

1. What is an inverse function derivative?

An inverse function derivative is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of an inverse function at a specific point. It is the opposite of finding the derivative of a regular function, where the input and output variables are switched.

2. How is the inverse function derivative calculated?

The inverse function derivative is calculated using the inverse function rule, which states that the derivative of an inverse function is equal to 1 divided by the derivative of the original function evaluated at the inverse function's input.

3. Why is the inverse function derivative important?

The inverse function derivative is important because it allows us to find the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the inverse function's graph. This information is useful in many real-world applications, such as optimization and curve fitting.

4. What is the relationship between the inverse function derivative and the original function derivative?

The relationship between the inverse function derivative and the original function derivative is that they are reciprocals of each other. This means that if the derivative of the original function is f'(x), then the derivative of the inverse function is 1/f'(x).

5. Can the inverse function derivative be negative?

Yes, the inverse function derivative can be negative. This can happen when the original function's derivative is positive, but the inverse function's derivative is negative due to the reciprocal relationship between the two. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the inverse function derivative when interpreting its meaning.