Atmospheric Refraction: Converting Density Profiles to Refractivity

In summary, the speaker is working on a project about the Green Flash and has produced a density profile for the first 86km of the 1976 US Standard Atmosphere. They now need to convert it into a refractivity index profile and are looking for a mathematical formula, specifically the Ciddor equation, to do so.
natski
Hi,

I'm working on a project on the Green Flash and have so far been building up a program to produce the 1976 US Standard Atmosphere. I have produced the density profile for the first 86km (which I'll assume to be enough for now) and now need to convert it to a refractivity index profile.

I'm assuming refractive indices only depend on density changes (since density depends on both temperature and altitude). My question is what mathematical formula should I use? I have been unable to find a formula for converting density profiles into refactive index profiles.

Thanks,

Natski

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You probably should look for Ciddor equation. EDIT: http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~jbattat/apollo/references/atmosphere/chambers_astrometryWithPanStarrsAndPS1_pushingTheLimitsOfAtmosphericRefraction_2005.pdf , page 8

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Natski,

Thank you for sharing your project with us. Atmospheric refraction is an important factor to consider when studying the Green Flash, as it can greatly affect the appearance of the phenomenon.

To convert a density profile to a refractivity index profile, you can use the following formula:

n = 1 + (0.000293 * ρ) / (T + 273.15)

Where:
- n is the refractivity index
- ρ is the density in kg/m³
- T is the temperature in Kelvin

This formula is based on the assumption that the atmosphere behaves like a perfect gas, and takes into account the effects of both temperature and density on the refractive index.

I hope this helps with your project. Good luck!

1. What is atmospheric refraction?

Atmospheric refraction is the bending of light as it passes through the Earth's atmosphere. This bending is caused by the variation in air density at different heights in the atmosphere.

2. How is atmospheric refraction measured?

Atmospheric refraction can be measured using a variety of methods, including GPS and satellite data, radiosondes, and ground-based instruments such as theodolites and laser rangefinders.

3. What is the relationship between density profiles and refractivity?

Density profiles represent the variation in air density at different heights in the atmosphere. Refractivity is a measure of how much a ray of light is bent as it passes through a medium, and it is directly related to the air density. Therefore, by converting density profiles to refractivity, we can better understand how light is bent in the atmosphere.

4. Why is it important to understand atmospheric refraction?

Atmospheric refraction plays a crucial role in a variety of scientific fields, including meteorology, astronomy, and telecommunications. By understanding how light is bent in the atmosphere, we can more accurately predict weather patterns, improve astronomical observations, and design more efficient communication systems.

5. How is the conversion from density profiles to refractivity done?

The conversion from density profiles to refractivity is typically done using mathematical models, such as the International Standard Atmosphere (ISA) model. These models take into account factors such as temperature, pressure, and humidity to calculate the refractivity at different heights in the atmosphere.