Tensor products and tensor algebras

• Thread starter asub
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, the conversation discussed finding a good introductory book on tensor products and tensor algebras, with the goal of using them to construct Clifford algebras. The recommended resource was the second edition of Multilinear Algebra by Greub. The conversation also mentioned using exterior products and quadratic spaces to construct Clifford algebras, but finding tensor algebras to be more challenging.
asub
Hi all,

What is a good introductory book on tensor products and tensor algebras? For motivation, I have found Tom Coates's http://www.math.harvard.edu/~tomc/math25/tensor.pdf" to be quite helpful, but I would like to do see some examples and do problems to understand it more thoroughly.

My main aim is to be able to construct Clifford algebras by taking quotient of tensor algebras. I have become able to construct Clifford algebras using exterior products (the way Clifford did it) and quadratic spaces. But understanding tensor algebras and using them to create Clifford algebras seems impregnable.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
asub said:
My main aim is to be able to construct Clifford algebras by taking quotient of tensor algebras.

Let [itex]V[/itex] be a finite-dimensional vector space over [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]g: V \times V \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] be a non-degenerate bilinear form. Form the the tensor algebra

[tex] T = \mathbb{R} \oplus V \oplus V \otimes V \oplus V \oplus V \otimes V \otimes V \oplus ...[/itex]

and generate an ideal [itex]I[/itex] from [itex]g \left( v , v \right) - v \otimes v[/itex]. Then, the universal Clifford algebra is [itex]T/I.[/itex]

I have become able to construct Clifford algebras using exterior products (the way Clifford did it) and quadratic spaces. But understanding tensor algebras and using them to create Clifford algebras seems impregnable.

Thanks.

Try the second edition (1978) of Multilinear Algebra by Greub.

Last edited:

Hi there,

A great introductory book on tensor products and tensor algebras is "Tensor Products and Exterior Algebras: Multilinear Algebra" by I.M. Gelfand and S.V. Fomin. This book covers the basics of tensor products, including definitions, properties, and examples, as well as the relationship between tensor products and exterior algebras. It also includes exercises and problems for practice and understanding.

To understand how tensor algebras can be used to construct Clifford algebras, I would also recommend "Clifford Algebras and Spinors" by Pertti Lounesto. This book covers the construction of Clifford algebras using tensor products and provides a thorough understanding of the relationship between the two.

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!

1. What is a tensor product?

A tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two vector spaces to create a new vector space. It is denoted by the symbol ⊗ and is used to represent the outer product of two vectors. It is commonly used in linear algebra and multilinear algebra.

2. What is the difference between a tensor product and a tensor algebra?

A tensor product is a mathematical operation, while a tensor algebra is a mathematical structure. A tensor algebra is a vector space that is generated by the tensor products of a given vector space. In other words, a tensor algebra is a set of all possible linear combinations of tensor products of vectors.

3. What is the significance of tensor products and tensor algebras in physics?

Tensors are used in physics to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. The tensor product allows for the description of more complex physical systems, such as those involving multiple vectors or multiple dimensions. Tensor algebras are also used in physics to represent the algebraic structure of physical systems.

4. How are tensor products and tensor algebras related to matrix multiplication?

Tensor products and tensor algebras are related to matrix multiplication in that they both involve the combination of vectors or matrices to create a new mathematical object. However, tensor products and tensor algebras are more general and can handle higher dimensions and more complex structures than traditional matrix multiplication.

5. Can you give an example of a real-world application of tensor products and tensor algebras?

One real-world application of tensor products and tensor algebras is in computer vision and image processing. Tensors are used to represent images as higher-dimensional data, allowing for more complex analysis and processing. Tensor algebra is also used in machine learning algorithms to model and process large datasets.