Find the net resistance for the following circuit

In summary, the conversation is about finding the net resistance for a given diagram. The person asking for help has simplified the resistors and is stuck on the last step. They have posted their work and someone points out that the last step is incorrect. They suggest considering the 5 Ohm and 14.4 Ohm resistors before doing the last step. The person asking for help realizes their mistake and thanks the person for their assistance.
dazedoutpinoy

Homework Statement

Find the net resistance for the following diagrahm.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is as far as I went to simplifying the resistors and I am stuck at the last step, not sure how to combine it since it's neither parallel or in series or is it?

I posted my work thus far, any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/dazedoutpinoy/DO%20NOT%20TOUCH/HomeworkProblem001.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The last step is incorrect. What can you do with the 5 Ohm and 14.4 Ohm resistors before doing the last step?

Must have overlooked that thanks for the help!

Glad to help. Welcome to the PF, by the way (BTW).

1. What is a net resistance?

Net resistance is the overall resistance value of a circuit, which is a measure of how much the circuit resists the flow of electric current. It is calculated by combining the individual resistance values of all components in the circuit.

2. How do I calculate the net resistance in a circuit?

To calculate the net resistance, you need to add up all the individual resistance values of the components in the circuit. If the circuit is a series circuit, simply add up all the resistance values. If the circuit is a parallel circuit, use the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... where R is the net resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistance values.

3. What happens to the net resistance when resistors are connected in series?

When resistors are connected in series, the net resistance increases. This is because the current has to flow through each resistor, and each resistor adds to the total resistance of the circuit. The net resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of all the individual resistance values.

4. What happens to the net resistance when resistors are connected in parallel?

When resistors are connected in parallel, the net resistance decreases. This is because the current has multiple paths to flow through, and the total resistance of the circuit decreases. The formula for calculating the net resistance in a parallel circuit is given in question 2.

5. What is the unit of measurement for net resistance?

The unit of measurement for net resistance is ohms (Ω). This is the same unit used for individual resistance values of components in a circuit. It represents the amount of resistance that a circuit offers to the flow of electric current.