Advanced Engineering Mathematics (For Computer Engineering)

In summary, the two books are: Advanced Engineering Mathematics by J. Kreyzig and A. P. Kreyzig andAdvanced Engineering Mathematics with Applications by J. Kreyzig and P. M. Saunders.
Edwardo_Elric
Hi is there any books you can recommend for advanced engineering mathematics for ComE? if yes please post the link...
And what's it all about maths in computer engineering?? or are they similar to any advanced math in engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say no.

For a comp eng major at my uni you need all the regular courses a comp sci needs except you take 1 less stat course, and you take 1 more math course, diff EQ. You also take 1 more physics course that a comp sci major doesn't have to take.

I would say Math for comp eng would be more like math for EE majors.

As far as courses go, I don't find any of the comp eng courses that math intensive when you go into the core courses. But it may all depend which electives you take.

If you take electives more related to EE rather than Comp Sci then you'll find it more math intensive i'd assume.

I'm an EE and I've always used Kreyzig's "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" for my engineering math courses*. It's not an amazing book, but if you have a good background in math, and you're reasonably intelligent, it should work well.

* I.e. the courses that were not calculus 1, 2 and 3. I don't think the book would be good to learn the first 3 calculus courses. However, it does have nice coverage of linear algebra, ODEs, PDEs, statistics & probability and some other material.

Edit - I forgot to mention that it doesn't cover some topics that you'd want to know as a computer engineer, like discrete math and that entire branch of related math. I can't recommend a book for that material as I've never taken a discrete math class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of studying advanced engineering mathematics in computer engineering?

Advanced engineering mathematics is a crucial subject in computer engineering as it provides the necessary mathematical foundation for understanding and solving complex engineering problems. It also helps in developing analytical and logical thinking skills, which are essential for computer engineers.

2. What are some of the topics covered in advanced engineering mathematics for computer engineering?

Some of the topics covered in advanced engineering mathematics for computer engineering include linear algebra, calculus, differential equations, probability and statistics, numerical methods, and complex analysis.

3. How does advanced engineering mathematics benefit computer engineers in their career?

Advanced engineering mathematics helps computer engineers to analyze, design, and develop efficient algorithms and computer programs. It also enables them to understand and apply mathematical models to solve real-world problems in various fields such as data science, artificial intelligence, and computer graphics.

4. Is prior knowledge of mathematics necessary for studying advanced engineering mathematics in computer engineering?

Prior knowledge of mathematics is essential for studying advanced engineering mathematics in computer engineering. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus before taking advanced engineering mathematics courses.

5. What are some resources that can help in understanding advanced engineering mathematics for computer engineering?

There are various resources available for understanding advanced engineering mathematics, such as textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. It is also helpful to seek guidance from professors and peers and to actively engage in problem-solving to strengthen understanding and application of the concepts.