Latex Coding: How to Include Paragraphs Neatly

In summary: Finally, solve for $F$.In summary, the conversation discussed how to include paragraphs in LaTeX coding without it looking ugly or using dashed-lines to separate words. The use of \mbox and math mode were suggested, and the conversation also touched on how to add text inside formulas and have math within a paragraph.
rocomath
how can i include paragraphs into my latex-coding w/o it looking ugly or me having to use dashed-lines to separate words

[tex]for example, this looks ugly![/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
rocophysics said:
how can i include paragraphs into my latex-coding w/o it looking ugly or me having to use dashed-lines to separate words

[tex]for example, this looks ugly![/tex]

\mbox
[tex]\mbox{for example, this looks better!}[/tex]or escape out of math mode(?)
with \] and \[
[tex]\]
for example, this looks better!
\[[/tex]

ah i love you! :D i have the latex pdf but it wasn't that clear about \mbox, sweet!

EDIT:

[tex]\mbox{Block A weighs 1.20N and block B weighs 3.60N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between all surfaces is 0.300N. Find the magnitude of the horizontal force F necessary to drag block B to the left at constant speed if A rests on B and moves with it in the 1st picture and if A is held at rest in the 2nd picture.}[/tex]

sigh :( is there one that allows me to type in more?

i'd like to fit this paragraph

Block A weighs 1.20N and block B weighs 3.60N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between all surfaces is 0.300N. Find the magnitude of the horizontal force F necessary to drag block B to the left at constant speed if A rests on B and moves with it in the 1st picture and if A is held at rest in the 2nd picture.

Last edited:
[tex]\]Block A weighs 1.20N and block B weighs 3.60N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between all surfaces is 0.300N. Find the magnitude of the horizontal force F necessary to drag block B to the left at constant speed if A rests on B and moves with it in the 1st picture and if A is held at rest in the 2nd picture.
\[[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{minipage}{3in}\bf\color{red}
Block A weighs 1.20N and block B weighs 3.60N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between all surfaces is 0.300N. Find the magnitude of the horizontal force F necessary to drag block B to the left at constant speed if A rests on B and moves with it in the 1st picture and if A is held at rest in the 2nd picture.
\end{minipage}
[/tex]

lol i can barely make the 2nd method work

i keep getting this annoying (0), argh!

http://www.mathlinks.ro/weblog_entry.php?t=171422

maybe it's diff. over there

Last edited by a moderator:
rocophysics said:
lol i can barely make the 2nd method work

i keep getting this annoying (0), argh!

http://www.mathlinks.ro/weblog_entry.php?t=171422

maybe it's diff. over there

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you wish to add text inside formulas, you can do something like this:

\[ \mu_k N - F = 0 \text{ where } N = w_A + w_B \]

If you wish to have math within a paragraph, then you could do something like this:

First, set $\mu_k N - F = 0$, and then substitute $N= w_A + w_B$.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Latex coding?

Latex coding is a typesetting language used for creating documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and engineering.

2. How do I include paragraphs neatly in Latex?

To include paragraphs neatly in Latex, you can use the \par command after each paragraph or use a double line break between paragraphs. You can also use the \parskip command to adjust the spacing between paragraphs.

3. Can I change the indentation of paragraphs in Latex?

Yes, you can change the indentation of paragraphs in Latex by using the \setlength{\parindent}{0pt} command to remove the indentation or by specifying a specific length for the indentation.

4. How do I include numbered paragraphs in Latex?

You can include numbered paragraphs in Latex by using the \paragraph{} command, which automatically numbers the paragraphs and adds them to the table of contents.

5. Is it possible to include multiple paragraphs in a single line in Latex?

Yes, it is possible to include multiple paragraphs in a single line in Latex by using the \parbox{} command. This command allows you to create a box with multiple paragraphs inside a single line.