Deriving the Formula for Combinations with Repetitions

In summary, the formula for combinations with repetitions is adapted from C(n;k) to (n+k-1)!/(k!(n-1)!). To derive this formula, think of dividing a set of objects into groups, where the number of objects is represented by n and the number of groups is represented by k. By inserting dividers between the objects, the formula becomes C(n+k-1,k-1). This can also be applied to the problem of creating fruit baskets, where the number of fruits is represented by n and the number of baskets is represented by k.
Seda
I need to know a way to derive the formula when doing combinations with repetitions.

THe formula is basically adapted from C(n;k) to

(n+k-1)!/(k!(n-1)!)
How is thing monster dervied?

i don't know if this will help, but the homework problem itself is:

How many distinguishable fruit baskets with 7 items can be created using apples, oranges, and pears?
I've used the formula to get an answer of 36. However, we haven't learned that formula in class, just the basic C(n,k) formula. Thats why I need to derive what I haven't learned in class from what I have learned.I've looked at this thing for like 30 minutes and I am like nowhere. The n+k part of the numerator I think i get because its adding what we take away back to the set we are choosing elements from. I don't get the -1 though. or the rest.

Help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you really ought to state what problem that formula is supposed to solve.

See Next

Last edited:
SOrry for the extra posts, everythings in the first one now. Sorry.

Last edited:
That helps a lot. So n=7 and k=3. You want to divide a set of 7 objects into 3 groups. Think of 7 books on the shelf. You want to divide them into 3 groups. You can do this by inserting 2 dividers into the row. They are allowed to fall at the ends, in that case the missing group has zero items. So you have 9 items on the shelf, 7 books and 2 dividers. The total number of ways to do this is to take 9 items and select any 2 to be the dividers. That's C(9,2). Or in terms of n and k, C(n+k-1,k-1). I'm not sure this is totally clear, but I tried.

Last edited:
I was under the impression the n=3 and k=7. I have 3 fruits and I'm making groups of 7.

This is possible because I can pick any fruit more than once.

If you want to interchange the meaning of n and k, that's fine. The argument still works. It's still C(9,2).

1. What is a formula?

A formula is a mathematical expression that represents a relationship between variables and allows for the calculation of a specific quantity or value.

2. How is a formula derived?

A formula is typically derived through a series of logical steps, starting with a given set of variables and using mathematical operations and rules to manipulate them until a relationship or pattern is identified.

3. What are the different types of formulas?

There are many different types of formulas, including algebraic, geometric, trigonometric, and statistical formulas. They can also be categorized as single-variable or multivariable formulas.

4. Why is it important to understand the derivation of a formula?

Understanding the derivation of a formula allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and relationships it represents. It also enables scientists to make informed decisions about when and how to use the formula in different situations.

5. Can a formula be modified or adapted for different scenarios?

Yes, formulas can often be modified or adapted to suit different scenarios or to solve different problems. This can be done by changing the variables, manipulating the formula through algebraic operations, or combining it with other formulas.