Internal resistance of a solar cell; strange results?

In summary, the task was to find the internal resistance of a solar cell by setting up a circuit and measuring the current and voltage on different settings of resistance. The calculated resistance was found to be higher than the controlled resistance until 35 Ohms, after which it dropped below. The data can be found in the provided links. It is suggested to estimate the internal resistance from the slope of a graph of I vs. V and to also do an open-circuit voltage measurement.
cbs27

Homework Statement

Basically, my task is to find out the internal resistance of a solar cell. I set-up a circuit as seen here (http : / / mt14 . quickshareit . com / share / picture666d18 . png), and measured the Current and Voltage on different settings of resistance in 5Ohm intervals from 0 Ohms to 50 Ohms. Now that I have calculated the resistance from the measured voltage and current, the resistance remains higher that the controlled resistance (on the variable resistor), however at 35 Ohms of controlled resistance, the calculated resistance drops below the controlled resistance. The data can be found here (http : / / mt15 . quickshareit . com / share / picture58258f . png). Is this normal behaviour? Also, what am I to make of these results?

Homework Equations

R = V/I
E = Ir + V
E = V + v
V = (-r) I + E

The Attempt at a Solution

Above, in the attached images. Please note that due to the 15 post requirement before posting links, I have had to place spaces before and after each dot and slash.

Physics news on Phys.org
The internal resistance is best estimated from the slope of a graph of I vs. V, at the high-V end of the curve. That will at any rate put an upper bound on the resistance, which could conceivably be less than what is calculated this way.

It would have been useful to also do an open-circuit (R=infinity) voltage measurement.

I would first examine the experimental set-up and make sure that all components were functioning properly and that there were no errors in the measurements. I would also check to see if there were any external factors that could be affecting the results, such as changes in sunlight or temperature.

Next, I would analyze the data and try to find a pattern or explanation for the strange results. It is possible that there is a non-linear relationship between the voltage and current, which could explain why the calculated resistance is higher than the controlled resistance at certain points.

I would also look into the internal structure and properties of the solar cell itself, as these could also affect the results. For example, if the solar cell has a high internal resistance, it could be causing the strange results.

Overall, it is not uncommon for scientific experiments to yield unexpected or unusual results. I would continue to investigate and analyze the data in order to better understand the behavior of the solar cell and potentially make improvements to the experimental set-up for more accurate results.

1. What is internal resistance in a solar cell, and why is it important?

Internal resistance in a solar cell refers to the resistance that is inherent within the cell itself. It is an important factor to consider because it can affect the efficiency and performance of the cell. Higher internal resistance can lead to a decrease in voltage and power output, while lower internal resistance can result in improved performance and higher efficiency.

2. What are some common causes of strange results in the internal resistance of a solar cell?

There are several factors that can contribute to strange results in the internal resistance of a solar cell, including variations in temperature, changes in irradiance levels, and aging of the cell. Other potential causes could include faulty equipment or incorrect measurement techniques.

3. How can I accurately measure the internal resistance of a solar cell?

To accurately measure the internal resistance of a solar cell, it is important to use high-quality equipment and follow proper measurement techniques. This may include using a four-wire method to eliminate errors caused by lead resistance and ensuring that the cell is at a stable temperature and irradiance level during the measurement.

4. Can the internal resistance of a solar cell be reduced?

Yes, the internal resistance of a solar cell can be reduced through various methods such as using higher quality materials, improving the cell design, and optimizing the manufacturing process. However, it is important to note that there will always be some level of internal resistance in a solar cell due to the nature of the materials and processes involved.

5. How does the internal resistance of a solar cell affect its overall efficiency?

The internal resistance of a solar cell can have a significant impact on its efficiency. Higher internal resistance can lead to a decrease in voltage and power output, resulting in lower overall efficiency. Lower internal resistance, on the other hand, can improve the performance and efficiency of the cell. Therefore, it is important to consider and minimize internal resistance in the design and production of solar cells.