Why cant we obtain a virtual image on a screen?

The lens will create a real image on the screen, which can be seen clearly. In summary, a virtual image cannot be obtained on a screen because the light creating the image does not originate from the apparent location of the image. The retina of the eye acts as a screen, but it must focus a real image in order to be seen clearly. By placing a lens in the place of the eye, a real image can be obtained on a screen behind the lens.
Raze2dust
If we can see a virtual image, why can't we obtain it on a screen?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because with a virtual image the light creating the image does not really originate at the apparent location of the image--and you need light in order to focus an image on a screen.

but then, isn't the retina of the eye a screen?

Raze2dust said:
but then, isn't the retina of the eye a screen?
Sure. That's why the eye must focus a real image on the retina.

ah ok..so if we keep a lens in the place of the eye then we can obtain it on a screen behind the lens right? i'll just try that out..

thanks to my 8th grader younger bro to ask this question to me, so i now know how little physics i know :D
and of course thanks doc.

Raze2dust said:
ah ok..so if we keep a lens in the place of the eye then we can obtain it on a screen behind the lens right? i'll just try that out..
Yes, do try it. A magnifying glass should work.

1. Why can't we obtain a virtual image on a screen?

A virtual image is an image that appears to be in a location where light does not actually reach. In order for an image to be seen on a screen, light must be able to physically reach the screen. Since a virtual image does not have physical existence, it cannot be projected onto a screen.

2. How is a virtual image different from a real image?

A real image is an image formed by the convergence of light rays at a specific location, such as on a screen. It can be captured and seen by the human eye. A virtual image, on the other hand, is an optical illusion that appears to be in a different location than where light actually reaches. It cannot be captured or projected onto a screen.

3. Can we create a virtual image using technology?

Yes, it is possible to create a virtual image using technology such as holograms or virtual reality. These technologies use complex techniques to trick our brains into perceiving an image in a different location than where light is actually reaching. However, these images are still not physically present and cannot be projected onto a screen.

4. Is it possible to obtain a virtual image using mirrors?

No, it is not possible to obtain a virtual image using mirrors. Mirrors can only reflect light that is physically present in the environment. They cannot create or reflect virtual images, which do not have physical existence.

5. Why do we see virtual images in certain optical illusions?

Optical illusions use tricks and distortions to create the perception of a virtual image. These images are not actually present, but our brain interprets them as real due to the way our eyes and brain process visual information. However, these illusions are not the same as a virtual image that can be projected onto a screen.