How much horsepower are you applying?

• Thread starter Max CR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Horsepower
In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of power while towing a car at a constant speed. The given equation for power is power = force * distance / time, and it is noted that 1 horsepower is equal to 746 watts. The conversation also includes a discussion on the formula for work and how it relates to power. The person seeking help has been able to solve the problem with the given information.
Max CR

Homework Statement

You are towing a car on a level road at a constant speed of 20 m/sec. A scale attatched to the rope measures a force of 200 N. How much horsepower are you applying to the towed car to keep it moving? (Note 1 HP = 746 W).

Please help I have a physics test tomorrow. Thanks and please be detailed!

Homework Equations

F = MA

The Attempt at a Solution

A = 20 m/s
F= 200 N

F=MA
200 N = M(20m/s)

Physics news on Phys.org
Try energy is force * distance
and power = energy / time

That didn't help miuch. Can anyone else help me?

Work (ie energy) is force * distance
How much force are you applying?
How much distance are you traveling in 1second?
Power is work/time, so how much work did you do in 1second.

Max CR said:
That didn't help miuch. Can anyone else help me?
Well it should, because the answer is right there.

Power = force * distance / time

So, you can calculate the power if you know how much force it requires to move the object over a certain distance within a certain period of time

marlon

Wow! I cannot believe I finally got this questioN! THanks. The problem was I did not know that formula and I can not find it in my book anywhere ...

Max CR said:
Wow! I cannot believe I finally got this questioN! THanks. The problem was I did not know that formula and I can not find it in my book anywhere ...

What formula ?

I find it quite hard to believe your book wouldn't mention one of the formula's cited above

marlon

1. How is horsepower measured?

Horsepower is a unit of measurement that was originally used to measure the power of steam engines. It is defined as the amount of work required to lift 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute.

2. What is the equivalent of one horsepower?

One horsepower is equivalent to 745.7 watts or 0.7457 kilowatts. It is also equal to about 550 foot-pounds per second.

3. How is horsepower calculated?

Horsepower can be calculated using the formula: horsepower = (torque x rpm) / 5252. Torque is measured in pound-feet and rpm stands for revolutions per minute.

4. What factors affect horsepower output?

The main factors that affect horsepower output include engine size, air intake, fuel type, and exhaust system. Other factors such as altitude, temperature, and humidity can also have an impact.

5. How much horsepower is needed for different tasks?

The amount of horsepower needed for different tasks varies greatly depending on the task at hand. For example, a small car may have around 100 horsepower while a large truck may have over 400 horsepower. It also depends on the weight of the load being moved and the speed at which it needs to be moved.