Proving Rational Numbers: Multiplication Axioms & Contra

• Thread starter Zero266
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, to prove that 1 / (1/x) is equal to x, we can use the multiplication axioms to show that if x is not equal to 0, then (1/x) is also not equal to 0. Then, we can apply the multiplicative inverse property to (1/x) to prove the equality. For the second statement, we can use a similar proof by contradiction to show that there is no rational number p that satisfies p^2 = 12. To prove that multiplicative inverses are unique, we can use the axiom that if x and y are elements of a field and xy = 1 for all x and y, then y = x^-1.
Zero266
Prove using the multiplication axioms that if x is not zero, then 1 / (1/x) is equal to x.

Prove that there is no rational number, p, such that p^2 = 12

I know for all x there exists x^-1 such that xx^-1 = 1 but i don't know how to use that to prove the first one.

For the second one, I understand the proof for p^2 = 2 by contradiction by showing that it was not reduced to lowest term because both a and b in a/b turned out to be even, but i can't seem to duplicate the process for 12.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, it's a good idea to show that multiplicative inverses are unique, but I don't think you need to (someone else will correct me if I'm wrong).

Basically, you need to first check that if x =/= 0, then (1/x) =/= 0. You can do this by contradiction. Then you basically apply the multiplicative inverse property to (1/x), and you can do this because you have established (1/x) =/= 0.

Eh, the duplication process should be the exact same thing. There are a lot of ways to do this since 12 has a few divisors. Suppose (a/b)^2 = 12, then a must be divisible by 12. So let a = 12k.

EDIT: Actually, it's somewhat important to show that multiplicative inverse are unique. Perhaps the easiest way to do this is by proving that if S is a field and x,y are elements of S with x =/= 0 and xy = 1 for all x,y, then y = x^-1. This follows almost immediately from the axiom.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. Maybe I'm just stupid, but why is "a" a multiple of 12? (a/b)^2 = 12, so a^2 is certainly a multiple of 12, but I'm not really convinced a is. are you using an axiom? if so which one or ones ? Thanks! ><

Hmmm, well a = 12k implies a2 = 144k2 = 12(12k2) so a2 is divisible by 12. Now we can let [tex] k \geq 1 [/tex], so that if a2 is divisible by 12, then a2 = 12(12k2) = (12k)2. Then it's easy to see that the converse holds as well.

1. What are the axioms of multiplication for rational numbers?

The axioms of multiplication for rational numbers are the closure axiom, commutative axiom, associative axiom, identity axiom, and distributive axiom. These axioms ensure that the result of multiplying two rational numbers is also a rational number.

2. How do you prove the closure axiom for rational numbers?

The closure axiom for rational numbers states that the product of two rational numbers is also a rational number. This can be proven by representing the two rational numbers as fractions and then multiplying them. The resulting fraction will have a numerator and denominator that are both integers, satisfying the definition of a rational number.

3. What is the commutative axiom for rational numbers?

The commutative axiom for rational numbers states that the order of multiplication does not affect the result. In other words, multiplying two rational numbers in any order will give the same result. This can be proven by using the properties of fractions to show that the order of multiplication does not change the value of the resulting fraction.

4. How is the identity axiom used in proving rational numbers?

The identity axiom for rational numbers states that the product of any rational number and the multiplicative identity (1) is equal to the rational number itself. This axiom can be used to prove that a rational number multiplied by 1 is equal to the same rational number, which is a fundamental property of multiplication.

5. What is the distributive axiom for rational numbers?

The distributive axiom for rational numbers states that multiplying a rational number by the sum of two other rational numbers is equal to the sum of the products of the rational number and each individual number. This can be proven by using the properties of fractions and the distributive property of multiplication to show that the left side of the equation is equal to the right side.