Radioactivity and decay constant

In summary, a piece of radioactive substance with a known efficiency of 5% gives a received count rate of 6000 counts per minute in a detector. Using the radioactive decay equation, the decay constant (λ) can be calculated to be 10^(-8) per second. However, after considering the efficiency of the detector, the correct answer is 2*10^(-7) per second.
sweminka
A piece of radioactive substance gives a received count rate of 6000 counts per minute in a detector whose efficiency is known to be 5%. If the sample contains 10^10 atoms, what is the decay constant ( λ ) of this radioactive substance ?

No idea how to solve this problem. Any help would be really appreciated.

Edit: I am a medical student studying abroad, and the physics teacher doesn't speak English properly. Please believe that I have tried to understand, but after 1 day of looking for information on the internet, I still have no idea how to solve this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

To answer your question, there are many assumptions to be made:
1. I assume 6000 counts/minute in the first minute.
2. [tex]10^{10}[/tex] atoms is supposed to be be the initial excited/radioactive atoms in the sample
3. 6000 counts/minute assumes that all radiation emitted passes through the detector, with a 5% efficiency.

If all these assumptions are true, then you can simply apply the radioactive decay equation to your problem and the answer is solved in two lines.

Here are my calculations :

N(t)=No*exp(-λt)

10^10 - 6000 = (10^10) * exp (-λ*60)

( 10^10 -6000) / (10^10) = exp (-λ*60)

ln ( ( 10^10 -6000) / (10^10) ) = -λ*60

λ= ( - ln ( ( 10^10 -6000) / (10^10) ) ) / 60

λ = 10*(-8) per second

Last edited:
The answer is supposed to be 2*10^(-7) though :(

I guess it has something to do with the detector's efficiency ?

Last edited:
Hi there,

You are forgetting the efficiency of the detector in your calculations. Don't forget that only 5% of the particles are detected.

"only 5% of the particles are detected" This sentence suddenly made everything clear to me. I guess I couldn't understand the meaning of "efficiency". Anyway, I replaced 6000 by 120 000 (100%) in my calculations, and I find the correct answer.

Thank you very much :)

1. What is radioactivity?

Radioactivity refers to the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus emits radiation in the form of particles or waves, in order to become more stable.

2. How is radioactivity measured?

Radioactivity is measured using a unit called the becquerel (Bq), which represents one radioactive decay per second. Another common unit is the curie (Ci), which represents 3.7 x 10^10 decays per second.

3. What is the decay constant?

The decay constant, denoted by the symbol λ (lambda), is a measure of the rate at which a radioactive substance decays. It is defined as the probability that a given atom will decay within a certain period of time.

4. How is the decay constant related to half-life?

The decay constant and half-life are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the decay constant increases, the half-life decreases, and vice versa. The half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a radioactive substance to decay.

5. Can the decay constant change over time?

No, the decay constant is a constant value for a specific radioactive substance and cannot change over time. However, the amount of radioactive substance itself can decrease as it undergoes radioactive decay.