Easy question Newtons 1st law of motion, applying force to a hockey puck

In summary, the problem is about a hockey puck with a mass of 0.160kg at rest on a horizontal frictionless surface at x=0 and t=0. A hockey player applies a force of 0.250 N until t=2.00s, resulting in the puck being at x=3.125m and having a velocity of 3.125m/s. The acceleration of the puck is 1.5625 m/s^2, calculated using F=ma. If the same force is reapplied at t=5.00s, the position and speed of the puck at t=7.00s can be found using the equation x(final)=x(initial)+v(initial)t+(1/
offbeatjumi
** sorry. this would be Newtons 2nd law of motion. oops.

Homework Statement

Hockey puck with mass 0.160kg at rest at x=0 and t=0 on horizontal frictionless surface. hockey player applies force of 0.250 N until t = 2.00s. ... ... if the same force is applied again at t = 5.00 s what is the position and speed of the puck at t = 7.00s?

Homework Equations

x(final) = x(initial)+v(initial)t+(1/2)a(t^2)
v(final) = v(initial)+at

The Attempt at a Solution

at t = 2 seconds, the puck is at x = 3.125m and the velocity is 3.125m/s. the acceleration (from F = ma) is 1.5625 m/s^2.
how do I incorportate reapplying the force? i imagine since the surface is frictionless and the acceleration is constant that the puck keeps increasing in velocity right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi offbeatjumi! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
offbeatjumi said:
how do I incorportate reapplying the force? i imagine since the surface is frictionless and the acceleration is constant that the puck keeps increasing in velocity right?

I'm not sure what you're asking. :confused:

The puck will have zero acceleration, and therefore the same velocity, until the force is reapplied.

So find the new x at the end of that constant velocity, and use that as the initial x in the same equation as before. :smile:

im sorry i worded that wierdly

this is essentially the question: if the same force is applied again at t = 5.00 s what is the position and speed of the puck at t = 7.00s?

but what you said helps, ill try it

1. What is Newton's 1st law of motion?

Newton's 1st law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does this law apply to a hockey puck?

In the context of a hockey puck, this law means that the puck will remain at rest on the ice or continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless a force is applied to it. This is why a player needs to continuously push or hit the puck to keep it moving.

3. What is the relationship between force and acceleration in Newton's 1st law?

According to Newton's 1st law, if no external forces are acting on an object, its acceleration will be zero. This means that the object will either remain at rest or continue moving at a constant speed.

4. How does friction affect the application of force to a hockey puck?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, so it can decrease the velocity of a hockey puck as it slides across the ice. This means that a player needs to apply a greater force to overcome the friction and keep the puck moving at the desired speed.

5. Can Newton's 1st law be observed in other sports or real-life situations?

Yes, Newton's 1st law can be observed in many sports and real-life situations. For example, a soccer ball remains at rest until a player kicks it, a car stays in motion until a force is applied to stop it, and a book will keep sliding across a table until friction slows it down. This law applies to all objects, not just those in motion on ice or in sports.