Calculating Bullet Velocity: Impact on Wooden Block with Given Parameters

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the velocity of a bullet that is fired horizontally into a wood block attached to a string, causing the block to swing 10cm above its initial level. The relevant equations mentioned are using energy to find the initial velocity of the block and conservation of momentum. The final calculated velocities are 14.1 m/s and 1.4 m/s, but it is unclear which one is the correct velocity for the bullet.
kubombelar

Homework Statement

Hey guys here is my problem:
A bullet is fired horizontally into a wood block attached to a string,the bullet sticks in the block.Calculate the velocity of the bullet if the impact causes the block to swing 10cm above its initial level. Bullet=15g, Block=3kg,Height=10cm.

. Relevant equations]
Square root of 2gh (were g is acceleration due to gravity,h is height. j

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi kubombelar! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Start by using energy to find the initial velocity of the block.

Then use conservation of momentum. :wink:

Hey thanks. using the formula i stated,i found 14.1ms and 1.4ms if i convert cm to m. Am i correct?

Hi kubombelar! :smile:

(what figure are you using for g?)
kubombelar said:
… i found 14.1ms and 1.4ms if i convert cm to m.

That's a weird way of putting it. :confused:

They can't both be correct, can they?

So which is it? :smile:
(and what do you then get for the velocity of the bullet?)

What is bullet velocity and why is it important to calculate it?

Bullet velocity refers to the speed at which a bullet travels through the air. It is important to calculate because it can impact the effectiveness and accuracy of a firearm, as well as the potential damage it can cause upon impact.

How is bullet velocity calculated?

Bullet velocity is typically calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the bullet (in feet) by the time it takes to travel that distance (in seconds). This can be done using a chronograph or by measuring the distance between two points and using a stopwatch.

What factors can affect bullet velocity?

The weight and shape of the bullet, the type of firearm and ammunition used, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and air resistance are all factors that can affect bullet velocity.

What is the impact of bullet velocity on a wooden block?

The impact of bullet velocity on a wooden block can vary depending on the type and thickness of the wood, as well as the angle and distance of impact. Generally, a higher bullet velocity can result in a deeper and more destructive impact on the wooden block.

How can calculating bullet velocity be useful for ballistic analysis?

Calculating bullet velocity can provide insight into the performance and capabilities of different firearms and ammunition. This information can be used for ballistic analysis to determine the trajectory and potential damage of a bullet, which can be helpful for forensic investigations and military applications.