Electron cloud from uv pulse aimed at negative plate of a capacitor

In summary, a pulse UV laser is used to free electrons from a negative plate, and these electrons then drift towards a positive plate under the influence of an electric field. After traveling 10 mm, the charge distribution of the electrons is described by a Gaussian distribution with a standard deviation of 0.5 mm. The electric field is related to the charge density by the equation E=q/4(pi)epsilon nought r squared. If 5×10^10 electrons m^-2 were emitted during the laser pulse, the change in electric field across the electron cloud can be calculated. The distance over which the electric field effectively changes is unknown and may be related to the Gaussian distribution of the electrons.
nicholasjgroo

Homework Statement

A very short pulse UV laser is used to liberate a number of electrons from the negative plate in the arrangement in (i) above. The electrons drift towards the positive plate under the influence of the electric field over a time scale much longer than the laser pulse length. Suppose that after the centre of the cloud has traveled approximately 10 mm the spatial distribution of the charge is described by a Gaussian distribution with a standard deviation of 0.5 mm. Write down an expression that relates the electric field to the charge density and calculate the change in electric field across the electron cloud if 5×10^10 electrons m^-2 were emitted during the laser pulse. Over what distance does the electric field effectively change?

Homework Equations

god knows, this guys notes don't make any sense

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
nicholasjgroo said:
god knows, this guys notes don't make any sense

I didn't know God took notes.:rolleyes:

Anyways, you'll find that the more effort you show the more people here are willing to help you. If your notes are too messy to read, I suggest you start by reading the relevant sections of your textbook instead.

As a hint for the problem at hand: what is a Gaussian distribution? What does that tell you about the general form of the charge density?

ok, spent the last 2 hours on this and here's what I've got. the equation I've got for electric is the charge density divided by the permitivity of free space

for the change in electric field across the cloud E=q/4(pi)epsilon nought r squared.

and for the last bit i don't have a clue, i know of gaussian distributions but I've never used them.

i'm thinking the electrons arent uniformly distributed they're like a blob and the distribution of the electrons is modeled by the gaussian distribution but i can't figure out what he means by 'over what distance does the electric field change'

What is an electron cloud?

An electron cloud refers to the region surrounding an atom or molecule where electrons are most likely to be found. This cloud is a representation of the probability of finding an electron at a certain location around the nucleus of an atom.

What is a UV pulse?

A UV pulse is a short burst of ultraviolet light energy. It is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a shorter wavelength than visible light, making it invisible to the human eye.

How does a UV pulse create an electron cloud?

When a UV pulse is aimed at the negative plate of a capacitor, it transfers energy to the electrons in the plate. This causes the electrons to move to higher energy levels, creating an electron cloud around the plate.

What is the purpose of aiming a UV pulse at a negative plate of a capacitor?

The purpose of aiming a UV pulse at a negative plate of a capacitor is to excite the electrons in the plate and create an electron cloud. This can be used in various applications, such as in the study of electron dynamics or in the development of new technologies.

Can a UV pulse aimed at a negative plate of a capacitor be harmful?

Yes, a UV pulse aimed at a negative plate of a capacitor can be harmful if proper precautions are not taken. UV radiation can cause damage to living tissue, so it is important to use protective gear and follow safety protocols when working with UV pulses.