Parallel light rays refraction by glass hemisphere problem

In summary, the problem involves parallel light rays traveling from air to a glass hemisphere with a radius R and an index of refraction ng > nair. The focus point of the light rays relative to a point P is determined using the equation n1/s + n2/s' = (n1-n2)/R, where n1 is the index of refraction for the glass and n2 is the index for air. To find the focus point, the object distance is set to infinity and s' is solved for. When the index of refraction of the hemisphere is increased by 0.5 percent, the focus point changes by multiplying n2 by 1.005.
marational

Homework Statement

Parallel light rays travel from air towards a glass hemisphere with radius R and
index of refraction ng > nair. A top view is shown in the figure.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6380/parallellightrays.jpg
(a) Determine where the light rays come to a focus relative to the point P.
(b) The index of refraction of the hemisphere is increased by 0.5 percent. Does the
focus point change from that in part (a)? If it changes, then by how much?

Homework Equations

I found an equation in the textbook for paraxial rays approaching a spherical surface that is convex towards them. In that situation, the second medium was some glass, and the original medium was air. The equation was given as follows:
n1/s + n2/s' = (n2-n1)/R
where s is object distance (from which the paraxial rays originated) from the surface, and s' is the distance of the image formed from the surface. R is the radius of the sphere.

The Attempt at a Solution

The big difference between the two scenarios is that in the actual problem, the rays are approaching a surface that is concave towards them, rather than convex. However, the textbook states that according to the sign convention for refracting surfaces, R is positive when convex toward the object, and negative when concave toward the object.
I simply put this into the equation to give
n1/s + n2/s' = (n2-n1)/-R
n1/s + n2/s' = (n1-n2)/R
where n1 is the index of refraction for the glass, and n2 is the index for air
The other issue was that there isn't really an object distance in the problem.
Since the rays are parallel, I set s to infinity (making n1/s = 0) and arranged for s'.
n2/s' = (n1-n2)/R
R(n2/(n1-n2)) = s'

I suppose this would be my final answer for part a, but I'm unsure if my method works.

If I'm correct, I figured that for part b I could simply multiply n2 by 1.005.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks correct.

ehild

1. What is parallel light rays refraction by glass hemisphere problem?

The parallel light rays refraction by glass hemisphere problem is a physics problem that involves understanding how light rays behave when they pass through a glass hemisphere. This problem is commonly used to demonstrate the principles of refraction and the behavior of light when passing through different media.

2. What are the key factors that affect parallel light rays refraction by glass hemisphere?

The key factors that affect parallel light rays refraction by glass hemisphere include the angle of incidence, the refractive index of the glass, and the radius of the hemisphere. These factors determine the amount and direction of refraction that occurs when light passes through the glass hemisphere.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect parallel light rays refraction by glass hemisphere?

The angle of incidence refers to the angle at which the light rays hit the surface of the glass hemisphere. The greater the angle of incidence, the more the light will be refracted. This is because a larger angle of incidence causes the light to travel through a thicker part of the glass, resulting in a greater change in direction.

4. How does the refractive index of glass affect parallel light rays refraction by glass hemisphere?

The refractive index of glass is a measure of how much the speed of light changes when passing through the material. A higher refractive index means that light will be bent more when passing through the glass hemisphere, resulting in a greater degree of refraction. Different types of glass have different refractive indexes, which can affect the outcome of the problem.

5. What is the practical application of understanding parallel light rays refraction by glass hemisphere?

Understanding the behavior of light when passing through a glass hemisphere has practical applications in fields such as optics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, it can help engineers design more efficient lenses for telescopes or cameras, and it can also aid in the development of optical instruments used in medical procedures.