Can the Scharnhorst Effect Be Overcome by Gravity in a Long Tube?

• Thread starter Dmitry67
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ftl
In summary, the conversation discusses the Scharnhorst effect and its potential use for faster-than-light (FTL) signalling. One article attempts to explain why it cannot be used for FTL signalling, but the participants do not find it convincing. They suggest an alternative idea involving a long tube and the Casimir effect, where the gravity from the tube's walls may outweigh the Scharnhorst effect. However, this idea is also debated and further research is needed to determine its validity.
Dmitry67
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scharnhorst_effect

I found one attempt to explain why it can't be used for FTL signalling:
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0107091
but I don’t find that article convincing.

But I’ve got an alternative idea. Say, we make a very long tube. Because of the Casimir effect the smaller the tube is the stronger is the force vacuum applies to the tube and the stronger the Scharnhorst effect is at the same time. But in order to resist the Casimir effect the walls of the tube must resist pressure, hence, they create gravity (even if we forget about the atoms they made of). So light will propagate inside the tube FTL, but, it will be in the gravitational well. So, that effect (even it is tiny) can overweight the Scharnhorst effect which is even tinier.

In fact the gravity from the walls will be stronger for any realistic material, but I bet the pressure alone is enough and it is more fun to prove that it is independent of the material. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dmitry67 said:
I found one attempt to explain why it can't be used for FTL signalling:
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0107091
but I don’t find that article convincing.
They do not say that it cannot be used for FTL signalling. They say that it can be used for FTL signalling, but that it does not lead to causal paradoxes or logical inconsistencies (like grandfather paradox etc.).

Anyway, I also have not found their argument convincing, so I have made my own:
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/gr-qc/0403121

Last edited:
#1: In any situation where light is not trapped (black hole), it doesn't slow down. It "stretches" or redshifts.
#2: Casmir effect does not create gravity. The force exerted on it is all virtual radiation pressure.

Hope this helps. (:

1. What is the Scharnhorst effect?

The Scharnhorst effect is a theoretical phenomenon in quantum field theory that suggests that the speed of light could be slightly faster in the presence of two parallel plates, compared to the speed of light in a vacuum.

2. How does the Scharnhorst effect relate to faster-than-light (FTL) travel?

The Scharnhorst effect does not necessarily imply FTL travel. While the speed of light may be increased slightly in this scenario, it is still limited by the universal speed limit of c, or the speed of light in a vacuum.

3. Why is the Scharnhorst effect considered to be a theoretical phenomenon?

The Scharnhorst effect has not been experimentally proven, and it relies on certain assumptions and conditions that may not be achievable in reality. It is still an area of ongoing research and debate among scientists.

4. Can the Scharnhorst effect be used to create a time machine?

No, the Scharnhorst effect does not involve time travel. It is simply a theoretical concept related to the speed of light in a specific scenario, and it does not allow for the manipulation of time.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Scharnhorst effect?

At this time, the Scharnhorst effect is purely theoretical and has not been applied in any practical ways. However, further research and understanding of this phenomenon could potentially have implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics and the nature of light.