Any good Physics notetaking software?

In summary: I think I'm going to get that tablet netbook, my current laptop is dying so it's time for an upgrade. I don't need anything fast cause I have a sweet desktop at home.
TheGooglePlex
I currently use one note, but the drawing functions doesn't even include curves. So basically a big fail.

Is there any good software for this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you're attempting to take notes in a physics or mathematics class with a computer and still haven't figured out that a pen and paper is infinitely more efficient, you've got bigger problems than poor software.

I can type plain text faster than I can write legibly. Equations and diagrams are another matter, which is why (if I were a student today) I would still use pen and paper for on-the-spot note-taking in class. Maybe a tablet with a stylus, that creates GIF or JPEG images or something similar.

jtbell said:
I can type plain text faster than I can write legibly. Equations and diagrams are another matter, which is why (if I were a student today) I would still use pen and paper for on-the-spot note-taking in class. Maybe a tablet with a stylus, that creates GIF or JPEG images or something similar.

Thanks for your helpful reply. I too cannot legibly write out my physics notes, so I use a laptop. I actually find equations to be not much of an issue, as I usually just add it to my auto complete dictionary, so when type [mtm is spits out p = mv for example.

The only thing I do have an issue with is the diagrams. I use one note as I said, but I was hoping for something that can do physics diagrams easily. I was wondering what program the textbook writers use, possibly that could help, but I guess the cost might be prohibitive or it might not be optimized for speedy note taking.

I have been looking into a laptop with a touch screen pen input, and I like the lenovo X series tablet. It's also 5000 Kiwi dollars. :grumpy: I like that because it has a screen behind it, but barring that, the wacom bamboo pen looks decent, and I don't think the small size would be an issue. I also just want a wacom because they're cool and I could use it on my home PC for light graphic design. Lenovo also makes a netbook version of the X series tablet on their consumer line, and that looks promising.

Thanks for your suggestion.

In a working environment I've had some success collection white board notes with a simple camera and some correction software. This way none of the participants have to divert their attention away from the matter subject to concentrate on the practical issues of taking notes. For me that is nice since I suck at taking notes and understand what's being said at the same time. There may be problems translating this for use in a lecture hall, but if I had to do university again I surely would consider bringing a camera.

Thanks for the help guys :D

I think I'm going to get that tablet netbook, my current laptop is dying so it's time for an upgrade. I don't need anything fast cause I have a sweet desktop at home.

Thanks!

1. What is the best physics notetaking software available?

The answer to this question can vary depending on personal preferences and needs. Some popular options include Microsoft OneNote, Evernote, and Notability. It is important to research and try out different programs to find the one that works best for you.

2. Can physics notetaking software be used for both handwritten and typed notes?

Yes, most physics notetaking software allows for both handwritten and typed notes. Some programs even have the option to convert handwritten notes into typed text for easier reading and organization.

3. Is there a free option for physics notetaking software?

Yes, there are some free options available such as Google Keep and Simplenote. However, they may have limited features compared to paid programs. It is important to consider your needs and budget when choosing a software.

4. Can physics notetaking software be used for collaborative work?

Yes, many programs offer collaboration features such as sharing notes with others, editing notes together in real-time, and leaving comments. This can be especially useful for group projects or studying with classmates.

5. Are there any physics-specific features in notetaking software?

Some physics notetaking software may have specialized features such as the ability to insert equations, graphs, and diagrams into notes. Some programs also have pre-made templates for physics notes or the option to create your own custom templates.