Vegetarian or Not? Poll & Forum Discussion

• Thread starter Centaur
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the prevalence of vegetarianism among scientists and whether there should be an option for cannibalism in a poll about diets. Some individuals identified as omnivores, while others mentioned they eat anything that looks hot and interesting. The conversation also brought up the concept of humanitarianism and different types of diets, such as fruitarianism. There was also humor injected into the conversation, with jokes about Russian roulette and the perfect fast food being a chainsaw and a cow.

What type of diet do you mostly follow?

• Vegetarian (inc. lacto- [dairy] or ovo- [eggs])

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Pescatarian (love fish)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vegan

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Raw Vegan

• Fruitarian

• Flexitarian (I still love my meat sometimes)

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Meat-eater

Votes: 41 63.1%
  • Other (please state in thread)

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters
Centaur
There are so many claims that scientists become vegetarian, so I was wondering who on these forums are vegetarian or similar. Therefore, I made a poll...

Physics news on Phys.org
Centaur said:
There are so many claims that scientists become vegetarian, so I was wondering who on these forums are vegetarian or similar. Therefore, I made a poll...
All of the scientists I know are normal, they all eat meat and vegetables. I don't know where you saw any of those claims.

By the way, you have no selection for a normal diet.

Why is there no option for cannibalism?

Topher925 said:
I think that's covered by 'meat eater'.

Topher925 said:

That would fall into the other category.

"Meat-eater" should be "omnivore".

Yeah, thanks. But how do you edit a poll? I want to change the meat-eater to Omnivore (normal diet - meat and veg)

I eat anything that looks hot and interesting :tongue2: I always have preference for meat though.

What would I be considered if I eat vegetarians?

I always thought it was mainly liberal arts and art majors that become vegetarians.

KalamMekhar said:

Lol, that would be healthy-cannibalism...

* Even though I just associated vegetarianism with health (a joke), this thread is not there to discuss which diet is better or more healthy, I only made it for interest sake.

KalamMekhar said:
A humanitarian?

ibnsos said:
I always thought it was mainly liberal arts and art majors that become vegetarians.
No they become vegetables.

Wow, it looks like most of you are omnivores, was actually expecting a little bit more diversity.

An omnivore, by definition, is diversified.

Evo said:
I think that's covered by 'meat eater'.
Cannibalism falls under humanitarianism.

turbo-1 said:
Cannibalism falls under humanitarianism.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

After all of these years thinking that you were humourless... :tongue:

I have always described myself as a strict carnivore. The only pleasure that I derive from eating is in knowing that something died violently so that I could eat it.

This thread, though, presented me with an epiphany. My previous opinion was somewhat more limited than it should have been. In the space of about 3 seconds, I redefined myself as an opportunistic omnivore. I have enough Irish blood that potatoes are honorary meat, but that doesn't make me a vegetarian.
(And before some smart-*** makes a joke about me eating a vegetable and then picking my teeth with the spokes, I don't want to hear it.)
The basic rule is that if it can't outrun me, it's food. (And the term "me" includes high-velocity rifle ammunition.)

Danger said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

After all of these years thinking that you were humourless... :tongue:
I'm not humorless. Maine humor is pretty dry, so it doesn't hit you right away. Not well-suited to the 'web, I'm afraid. There was a brief exchange on PF chat tonight about playing Russian roulette, and I offered my Glock 20, with a disclaimer that it wasn't *quite* as random as a revolver.

Which is the option that covers omnivores? And is there truly such a thing as a "fruitarian"?

There's basically six vegetarian options in an attempt to discredit the fact that omnivore should be the massive majority

GeorginaS said:
And is there truly such a thing as a "fruitarian"?

I think Gandhi was a fruitarian for a while but didn't keep it up. Talk about being weak willed!
(I maintained a fruitarian diet for about a month a year for the past three years. After it's over, plain rice and fish tastes like a gourmet meal).

GeorginaS said:
And is there truly such a thing as a "fruitarian"?
That would be Sir Elton John, but I don't think that he has anything to do with this particular thread.

turbo-1 said:
I'm not humorless. Maine humor is pretty dry, so it doesn't hit you right away. Not well-suited to the 'web, I'm afraid. There was a brief exchange on PF chat tonight about playing Russian roulette, and I offered my Glock 20, with a disclaimer that it wasn't *quite* as random as a revolver.

I just can't do it... (Why the hell is there no smilie that depicts me smacking myself on the forehead?)
I'm going to PM you soon. I'm quite inebriated right now, but not nearly enough to converse with you privately. Give me a couple of minutes to drop another 5 or 6 ounces of Scotch, and I'll get to you. :wink:

Danger said:
That would be Sir Elton John, but I don't think that he has anything to do with this particular thread.

Okay, booooooooo.
:biggrin:Edited to add: So, are we calling the "meat eater" option and omnivore, then? I mean, I know this is all scientific and important and stuff, so I'd hate to mess it up.

GeorginaS;2814614So said:
, are we calling the "meat eater" option and omnivore, then? I mean, I know this is all scientific and important and stuff, so I'd hate to mess it up.
As loathe as I am to admit defeat, there is absolutely no way that i can respond to that question that won't get me either censored or banned. It has something to do with where you draw the lines between eating, licking, sucking... I just really don't want to get involved.

Centaur said:
Here are some big scientists who embraced (not necessarily became) vegetarianism.
I didn't see a choice for embracing (not necessarily becoming) vegetarianism.

When it comes right down to it, I'm actually pretty much a fast-food guy.
The perfect fast food, by the way, consists of a chainsaw and a cow. Fire is optional.

The perfect fast food, by the way, consists of a chainsaw and a cow. Fire is optional.

I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg. Had to kill it with a shovel. Took about an hour.

That's still a high percentage of non-meat eaters, 20%! But I think the poll might be biased due to the title of the thread.

VeeEight said:
I went hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg. Had to kill it with a shovel. Took about an hour.

I'm guessing that will be your last hunting experience.

VeeEight said:
It was the only humane thing to do. I hope you didn't damage the head area. That would ruin the trophy.

lisab said:
I'm guessing that will be your last hunting experience.

It's safe to say I won't be there next season

I have been trying out a mostly vegetarian diet for the past few weeks. I don't particularly miss meat. I actually have gained five pounds.

My grocery bill has gone down somewhat. Options at my regular grocer have diminished, however.

Veggie dishes in the summer mostly cool one off compared to meat dishes. I must try vegetable/fruit stands.

__________Some jerk shot a deer in the flank with an arrow at my suburban park years ago. There was nothing we could do except watch it run, or preferably, shoot apples from the head of the fool.

VeeEight said:

You don't seem to be a cruel person, so I can only assume that you're a lousy shot. Even so, it only makes sense that one will always carry enough spare ammo to administer a close-up kill shot in a situation such as yours. Or, at the very least, a large knife for introduction to the carotid.
I'm not a hunter, despite my love of weapons, but I have no argument with those who do it legitimately. Trophy hunters and thrill-killers grit my gears immensely, though. I reside in prime hunting country, and every person that I know who does it at least eats the animal. Food might not be the primary reason for the endeavour (male bonding, communing with nature, passing skills on to an offspring, etc. are instigating factors as well), but the meat isn't wasted. Killing something for food is okay, and it doesn't really make a lot of difference as to where that occurs. A meat-packing plant, forest hunting area, or tuna-canning ship all present the same net effect to the food. I just happen to have a preference for it being a "humane" kill. Even when I used to hunt gophers years ago, I always used over-loaded ammo and took the head shot so they wouldn't feel it. Nothing dismays a legit hunter more than seeing an animal wounded rather than instantly killed.
I know that I would be haunted forever over something like what happened to you (as I am by a couple of things of a minor but similar nature). Perhaps knowing that you did what you deemed necessary to alleviate the situation, no matter how distasteful, will offer you some comfort.