What is the Bing Metrization Theorem?

• Thread starter radou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the Bing metrization theorem states that a space is metrizable if it is regulat and has a countably locally discrete basis. The proof is practically the same as the proof of the Nagata-Smirnov theorem, since analogous results of some lemmas regarding locally finite families hold for locally discrete families, too.
radou
Homework Helper
Unless I'm mistaken about something, the Bing metrization theorem is more or less only a corrolary of the Nagata-Smirnov metrization theorem.

Theorem (Bing metrization theorem). A space X is metrizable iff it is regulat and has a countably locally discrete basis.

The proof is practically the same as the proof of the Nagata-Smirnov theorem, since analogous results of some lemmas regarding locally finite families hold for locally discrete families, too. I'll number these lemmas like in Munkres book, only with asterisk signs.

Lemma 39.1.* Let A be a locally discrete collection of subsets of X. Then:

(a) Any subcollection of A is locally discrete
(b) The collection of the closures of elements of A is locally discrete
(c) The closure of the union of elements of A equals the union of their closures

Lemma 39.2.* Let X be a metrizable space. If A is an open covering of X, then there exists an open covering E of X which refines A and is countably locally discrete.

In the proof of the analogue of this lemma for a countably locally finite refining, it is shown in a step that for any x in X, the 1/(6n)-neighborhood of x can intersect at most one element of En, which is exactly what we need.

Lemma 40.1.* Let X be a regular space with a basis B that is countably locally discrete. Then X is normal, and every closed set in X is a Gδ set in X.

Now, with these results laid out, it follows that the proof of the Bing metrization theorem is exactly the same as that one of the Nagata-Smirnov metrization theorem, as far as I've inspected. If I made any mistake, please correct me about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. The proof of Bings metrization theorem is exactly the same as the proof of Nagata-Smirnov.

So I guess paracompactness is next? :smile:

micromass said:
You are correct. The proof of Bings metrization theorem is exactly the same as the proof of Nagata-Smirnov.

So I guess paracompactness is next? :smile:

OK, thanks a lot! Yes, paracompactness follows! Although I think I won't be entering 2011 with a knowledge about paracompactness.. :biggrin:

1. What is "The Bing metrization theorem"?

The Bing metrization theorem is a fundamental theorem in topology that states that any topological space that satisfies certain properties can be given a compatible metric. In other words, it shows that any space that behaves locally like a metric space can be turned into a metric space.

2. Who discovered "The Bing metrization theorem"?

The Bing metrization theorem was discovered by R. H. Bing, an American mathematician, in 1954. Bing was a prominent figure in general topology and is also known for his work on the Bing-Nagata-Smirnov metrization theorem.

3. What are the conditions that need to be satisfied for "The Bing metrization theorem" to apply?

There are two main conditions that need to be satisfied for "The Bing metrization theorem" to apply: the space must be Hausdorff (meaning points can be separated by open sets) and it must be locally metrizable (meaning every point has a neighborhood that can be given a metric).

4. What are some applications of "The Bing metrization theorem"?

"The Bing metrization theorem" has important applications in functional analysis, which is a branch of mathematics that studies vector spaces of functions. It is also used in the study of topological groups and topological vector spaces.

5. Is "The Bing metrization theorem" a difficult theorem to understand?

While "The Bing metrization theorem" may seem complex at first, it is considered to be one of the more accessible metrization theorems in topology. With some knowledge of basic topology and metric spaces, it can be understood and applied with relative ease.