Why does coke taste different from different containers?

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
In summary, coke from glass bottles is of the highest quality, with coke from aluminum cans in second, and with coke from a plastic bottle (such as a 20 ounce) in a lowly third.
1MileCrash said:
It's actually delicious if you ask me, but I haven't had it in years.

Hmmm, I'm curious now, although I wouldn't have guessed that 'mulled pepsi' would be a taste sensation.

Physics news on Phys.org
This darn thread just got me hooked on the glass bottles :!)

Another one for Warren Buffet. :cry:

Well, my sister works at a pizzeria. Her first day (she had worked there years before, under different management) she started taking apart the soda fountain to clean it. The manager was surprised and apparently didn't know that you could do that. She found the fountain parts covered in mold.

I try to avoid fountain soda.

1MileCrash said:
It's actually delicious if you ask me, but I haven't had it in years.

...and now we know we can't trust your judgement on taste.

Seriously, I remember it smelled a little like old beer (you know that "garbage-water" smell?), and when you drank it too quickly the aftertaste of gingerbread made your eyes water. If you drank it slowly enough (like sipping a glass of fine Scotch), all you could taste was sugary pepper. If you were unlucky enough to burp... well... never mind...

Ugh, it gives me the chills just thinking about it.

Galteeth said:
Well, my sister works at a pizzeria. Her first day (she had worked there years before, under different management) she started taking apart the soda fountain to clean it. The manager was surprised and apparently didn't know that you could do that. She found the fountain parts covered in mold.

I try to avoid fountain soda.

Heh... don't ever ask about how fryers are cleaned... unless you like your potatoes strictly baked and mashed. :wink:

Flex: Now your description is closer to the hell I imagined from spiced cola. I don't see the point of a soft drink that you need to become drunk just to stomach...

@Turbo, I was born in 89 and all through the 90s while I was in elementary/middle school RC Cola was preferred over any other can of soda. It was extremely cheap, something like 25-30 cents (it's now 50 I think) and tasted great.

@Galteeth, I've never seen mold in the drink lines while I worked at McDonalds but then again we cleaned them often. I DID however see mold in the ice container one time. I was so shocked by that that I emptied it bleached it sanitized it scrubbed it with soap sanitized it again and put a sign on it for a week so no one could use it... some people I worked with didn't even care they would have used it with the mold in there AND would have even used it right after I bleached it. The amount of flies that falls into the ice is stupid high too, so I would suggest avoiding ice.

The McDonalds orange drink from the fountain machine was also able to clean our grill if we ever ran out of grill acid. I remember using that stuff to clean an oil spot on our sidewalk when we ran out of degreaser, it stained the sidewalk for a few days but it sure cleaned that oil fast. Scary but delicious!

@OP, I've also noticed that things seem to taste different from containers vs out of a glass. I.e. if I drink milk straight out of the bag it tastes so much better to me than if I poured it and drank from a glass... This applies to any drink really... I think this might be psychological however.

zomgwtf said:
@Turbo, I was born in 89 and all through the 90s while I was in elementary/middle school RC Cola was preferred over any other can of soda. It was extremely cheap, something like 25-30 cents (it's now 50 I think) and tasted great.

@Galteeth, I've never seen mold in the drink lines while I worked at McDonalds but then again we cleaned them often. I DID however see mold in the ice container one time. I was so shocked by that that I emptied it bleached it sanitized it scrubbed it with soap sanitized it again and put a sign on it for a week so no one could use it... some people I worked with didn't even care they would have used it with the mold in there AND would have even used it right after I bleached it. The amount of flies that falls into the ice is stupid high too, so I would suggest avoiding ice.

The McDonalds orange drink from the fountain machine was also able to clean our grill if we ever ran out of grill acid. I remember using that stuff to clean an oil spot on our sidewalk when we ran out of degreaser, it stained the sidewalk for a few days but it sure cleaned that oil fast. Scary but delicious!

@OP, I've also noticed that things seem to taste different from containers vs out of a glass. I.e. if I drink milk straight out of the bag it tastes so much better to me than if I poured it and drank from a glass... This applies to any drink really... I think this might be psychological however.

Truly, you can't know how happy you've made a man who stopped eating any fast food a long time ago.

The milk by the way... I wonder if we're ignoring how different containers interact with the nose? Maybe when it comes to milder flavors like milk, or ones with many notes like a soda are subject to small adjustments in how well you smell them? Hmmm...

edit: Or, maybe you're more thirsty when you choose to forgo the glass... that makes sense too.

zomgwtf said:

I don't always drink degreaser, but when I do, I prefer McDonald's orange drink. Stay thirsty my friends.

170px-Jonathan_Goldsmith_2009.jpg

FlexGunship said:
I don't always drink degreaser, but when I do, I prefer McDonald's orange drink. Stay thirsty my friends.

170px-Jonathan_Goldsmith_2009.jpg

:rofl:

edit: That picture was taken of Mr. Goldsmith when he was... 15! Yes, that's the terrible secret, he's a young man artificially aged by orange drink. OH THE HORROR! Oh The humanity! Oh the citrus!

hmm, i wonder how mcdonalds orange degreaser would work on my clogged arteries?

Proton Soup said:
How about MEK? Stay thirsty, my friend!

Proton Soup said:

If it did, that would be the PERFECT example of 'irony' to teach the young folks. They got your arteries here to begin with, and now their psychotic OJ cleanses you... yes... a beautiful cycle.

Frankly, I'd rather have angioplasty than drink that stuff.

Here's a really sad story.

In graduate school we had a soda machine dispensing classic coke before new coke and it was made with sugar. I loved that beverage. It was the nectar of the Gods.

The they came out with New Coke. A fouler beverage you've never tasted save for mountain dew.

Decades went by and my longing for the old coke with sugar never subsided. Then in the last year they began importing bottles of coke from Mexico made with real sugar. I was so happy I went and got a bottle, chilled it in the fridge for a week. Prepared a special pizza dish in anticipation of the great reunion, me and Old Coke.

Popped the top off, it smelled great. Took a swig.

It was too sweet! Oh no! I've grown used to the new classic coke while hating it but now it's better than Old Coke! Ahhhhhh!

It's just like a clockwork orange. Sort of.

Last edited: