Egg Drop Device Acceleration Question

In summary, when designing a device to protect an egg from cracking when dropped from a height, it is important to consider the forces acting on the object as it falls. These include the force of gravity and the air resistance. In order for the device to work properly, it should accelerate slightly slower than the gravitational acceleration of 9.8 m/s/s to account for the resistive force of air.
Squiller
In science we had to build a device which, when dropped 3 stories onto cement, should not allow an egg inside inside of it to crack. One of the follow up questions says : Why should your device accelerate slightly slower than the gravitational acceleration of 9.8 m/s/s " - I can't understand why this would be ? Please help :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
What other force is acting on an object falling through the air?

other forces are the air resistance and the gravitational pull, but why would an object travel less then 9.8 m/s/s if its in freefall ?

Do the forces analysis

Using Newton's 2nd law

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = m \vec{a} [/tex]

We get (where R is air drag the resistive force)

[tex] m \vec{g} + \vec{R} = m \vec{a} [/tex]

Remember, too - if the object is experiencing air resistance, it isn't truly in free fall.

1. What is an Egg Drop Device Acceleration Question?

An Egg Drop Device Acceleration Question is a scientific inquiry that involves designing and testing a device that can protect an egg from cracking or breaking when dropped from a certain height. The goal is to understand the concept of acceleration and how it affects the egg's impact with the ground.

2. How does acceleration affect the egg during the drop?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. When an egg is dropped, it accelerates towards the ground due to the force of gravity. The higher the acceleration, the greater the impact force on the egg when it hits the ground, increasing the likelihood of it cracking or breaking.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of an egg during the drop?

The main factors that affect the acceleration of an egg during the drop are the height from which it is dropped, the mass of the egg, and the design and materials used in the protective device. Other factors such as air resistance and the shape of the egg may also play a role.

4. How can I design an effective Egg Drop Device to minimize acceleration?

To design an effective Egg Drop Device, one must consider the factors that affect acceleration and find ways to minimize their impact. This can be achieved by using lightweight and shock-absorbing materials, creating a crumple zone in the device, and optimizing the shape and size of the device to reduce air resistance.

5. What can I learn from an Egg Drop Device Acceleration Question?

An Egg Drop Device Acceleration Question allows you to apply scientific concepts such as acceleration, force, and energy to a real-life problem. It also teaches critical thinking, problem-solving, and engineering skills as you design, build, and test your device. Additionally, it can help you understand the importance of considering multiple factors and variables when conducting experiments and designing solutions.