Is spending time studying for the Putnam really worth it?

In summary, the speaker is considering whether it is worth their time to learn how to solve problems for the Putnam competition in order to increase their chances of getting admitted to a top-ten graduate program in math. They are also wondering if this would help them become a better mathematician in general. However, they believe that there are many other opportunities for mathematical discovery that are not limited to a timed test like the Putnam. They plan on doing research regardless of their decision.
diligence
Allow me to clarify what I mean by worth it: I plan on going to graduate school in math (maybe physics, but likely math), and would like to increase my chances of getting admitted to a top-ten program, along the lines of NYU or Columbia or Michigan. I realize places like Harvard, MIT and Princeton are longshots for pretty much everybody. I'm a very good student, but have had little exposure to proof-based math, and very very little experience with problem-solving competitions. I'm taking Diff EQ this semester, and my professor has already asked if I want to get involved in research.

Is it even worth my time to learn how to solve problems for the Putnam with the hopes of getting a decent score? Or should I just focus all of my free-time on getting my feet wet in research? I'm definitely going to do research either way, but how much would the extra time spent on the Putnam help with grad school admissions (assuming i score high).

And how about for just becoming a better mathematician in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
not worth it...there's a multitude of mathematic discovery waiting to be unearthed that's not on a timed test

1. What is the Putnam exam?

The Putnam exam is an annual mathematics competition for undergraduate students in the United States and Canada. It consists of two 3-hour sessions of six problems each, and is known for being one of the most challenging undergraduate math exams in the world.

2. Is the Putnam exam important for my academic or career goals?

The importance of the Putnam exam varies for each individual. For students pursuing careers in mathematics or related fields, a strong performance on the Putnam can be a valuable addition to their resume. However, for students in other fields, the exam may not hold as much weight.

3. How much time should I spend studying for the Putnam exam?

The amount of time you should spend studying for the Putnam exam depends on your level of mathematical knowledge and your goals for the exam. Some students spend months preparing, while others may only spend a few weeks. It is important to find a balance between studying and other commitments.

4. Will studying for the Putnam exam improve my mathematical skills?

Studying for the Putnam exam can definitely improve your mathematical skills. The problems on the exam require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and creative problem-solving skills. By practicing for the Putnam, you will develop these skills and become a stronger mathematician.

5. Is the Putnam exam worth the effort and stress?

This is a personal decision and may vary for each individual. Some students find the challenge and competition of the Putnam to be exciting and worthwhile, while others may find it too stressful. It is important to consider your goals and priorities before deciding if the Putnam exam is worth the effort for you.