Any car lovers here? Enthusiasts?

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation is about car enthusiasts sharing their current and previous favorite cars. Some of them prefer fast cars while others enjoy cars that are geared for high speeds. They also discuss their future projects and their level of interest and involvement in car mechanics. One of them also mentions using lead-free solder instead of bondo for body modifications.
1MileCrash
I'm sure we're not all the physics lovers that are super-studious and have no interests in the outside world other than the future of science and human knowledge. In fact, based on these boards, almost none of us are "that kind" of physics lover.

Some of us, like me, like to go fast.. so, any other car enthusiasts?

This is my current pride and joy:
[PLAIN]http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/1589/oliverw.png

Of course, I'm a bit of a wuss, and my current top speed is 140 mph, which is right at the end of 3rd gear. :shy: I'm more of a turn lover than a straight-line accel lover (though that's fun too!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
my favorite car was a 2003 525i BMW, sport model. When some idiot driver totaled it by blind siding us on a city street, the first words out of my mouth were "My beautiful car!" even though my son and I were both in that car and subject to serious injury. We both walked away however, and I learned gradually to be very glad that I was blind sided in my favorite, and also safest, car. Here is a similar one:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_bRUMBehiReI/RqbNlivE4LI/AAAAAAAAAMM/eKM51W63yjQ/DSC00149.JPG

This was not a quick car, only 180 hp, but one geared to run at high speed. It was very easy to reach 90-100 mph without even trying on the highway. And it always felt safe even at those speeds, cornering well, and holding the road excellently. Comfortable too, and with 10 speaker sound system, leather seats, xenon lights, ...oh well, ... it's gone now, but we are still here.

Last edited:
Nice car. I would love a new one but they are kind of overpriced.

Here are my two current rides. I used to have a 450hp awd talon. I wish I still had that.

1985 4runner
4runner.jpg

1960 VW that I chopped to pieces. If you like VW's scroll past quickly!
photo-3.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo2.jpg

It's obviously a work in progress. Thanks to school and work I haven't even looked at it for over a year.:cry:

I've worked on many LTX and LSX engines. Right now, I've got a 94/95 Z28 in the garage that I built out of my 94 that I totalled in 2005.

I don't drive it or mess with it almost at all anymore, but I don't really have the time or the passion for that specific vehicle anymore. Really I'd like to get rid of it and start with something else. My next project will be a C6 or something custom like a Factory Five GTM or similar.

Your pic is so bad that I'm assuming it's white but can't tell if it's early Arctic White or later Speedway White. :tongue:

Edit- It depends what level of enthusiast as well. Many people around here appreciate cars, but there don't seem to be too many that are actively turning wrenches. I've only seen one person other than myself that talks about ECM tuning, and a select few that have shown projects or participate in any discussions. It usually happens over in Mech Engr forum.

Last edited:
GTM is a beautiful vehicle, but well beyond my means ( both money and know-how )

my C5 is a 99, but I am not sure what white they used that year.

Arctic White, which doesn't really matter. I was just showing that I'm pretty familiar with late model GM Y-body (vettes since '84) and F-body (camaro and firebird) vehicles.

I hear you. I'm really into f-bodies too, id really like an 02 Ws6 but everyone wants an arm and a leg for one.

S_Happens said:
Edit- It depends what level of enthusiast as well. Many people around here appreciate cars, but there don't seem to be too many that are actively turning wrenches. I've only seen one person other than myself that talks about ECM tuning, and a select few that have shown projects or participate in any discussions. It usually happens over in Mech Engr forum.

I chopped that VW in the pics by 8" and sectioned it by 4". It will be on bags at all four corners too. That was a tad bit of labor. I've also started using lead free solder on the body instead of bondo. That stuff is haaaard to work with. :approve:

The 4runner...well it has a couple of mods too.

1MileCrash said:
I'm sure we're not all the physics lovers that are super-studious and have no interests in the outside world other than the future of science and human knowledge. In fact, based on these boards, almost none of us are "that kind" of physics lover.

Some of us, like me, like to go fast.. so, any other car enthusiasts?

This is my current pride and joy:
[PLAIN]http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/1589/oliverw.png

Of course, I'm a bit of a wuss, and my current top speed is 140 mph, which is right at the end of 3rd gear. :shy: I'm more of a turn lover than a straight-line accel lover (though that's fun too!)

nice ride :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What makes a car enthusiast?

A car enthusiast is someone who has a strong passion and interest in cars. They often have extensive knowledge about different makes and models of cars, and enjoy learning about the mechanics and history behind them.

2. How do you become a car enthusiast?

Becoming a car enthusiast can happen in a variety of ways. Many people develop a love for cars at a young age, while others may become interested later in life. To become a car enthusiast, you can start by researching and learning about different cars, attending car shows and events, and joining online communities or clubs dedicated to car enthusiasts.

3. What is the difference between a car lover and a car enthusiast?

While the terms "car lover" and "car enthusiast" are often used interchangeably, there is a slight difference. A car lover may simply have a strong appreciation for cars, while a car enthusiast has a deeper passion and knowledge about them.

4. Can anyone be a car enthusiast?

Yes, anyone can become a car enthusiast. It doesn't matter your age, background, or gender. As long as you have a strong interest in cars and are willing to learn and immerse yourself in the car community, you can become a car enthusiast.

5. What are some common misconceptions about car enthusiasts?

One common misconception is that all car enthusiasts are wealthy and can afford expensive cars. While some car enthusiasts may have a higher budget for their hobby, there are also many who are passionate about cars on a budget and enjoy working on and customizing their own vehicles.