How my 10 year old cousin learned of the speed of light

In summary: It sounds like he's really interested in physics, and I think it would be a great gift for him to learn more about it.
1MileCrash
I always wanted to make a post about this, because it's kind of cool.

Living in south Louisiana, hunting/trapping/fishing is a big part of the culture.

This January, my dad's brother and his son were on a deer stand on a pipeline, and they saw a whitetail that was about 500 yards away, too long of a shot for my cousin. However that didn't stop him from watching it.

As he looked through the scope of the rifle, watching the deer, suddenly he exclaimed "the deer fell!"

Then they heard a gunshot.

He's never stopped talking about it. I think it's the little signs like that that say maybe one day he'll take up physics.

:approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
You should get him a book on physics as a present if he's showing interest at a young age.

1MileCrash said:
I always wanted to make a post about this, because it's kind of cool.

Living in south Louisiana, hunting/trapping/fishing is a big part of the culture.

This January, my dad's brother and his son were on a deer stand on a pipeline, and they saw a whitetail that was about 500 yards away, too long of a shot for my cousin. However that didn't stop him from watching it.

As he looked through the scope of the rifle, watching the deer, suddenly he exclaimed "the deer fell!"

Then they heard a gunshot.

He's never stopped talking about it. I think it's the little signs like that that say maybe one day he'll take up physics.

:approve:

Well, that's more to do with the difference between the speed of sound and the speed of light, but yes, that's a very educational experience.

Don't you get lightning storms in Lousiana?

Sure, but that's not nearly as clear to a child regarding what's actually happening. There's usually multiple strikes going on etc, a clear sunny day, watching a deer fall and then hearing a gunshot while paying close attention yields more of a "wtf?" response, I think.

1. How did your 10 year old cousin learn about the speed of light?

My cousin learned about the speed of light through various sources such as books, documentaries, and school lessons. She has always been curious about science and asks a lot of questions, so I often share interesting facts with her.

2. Is it normal for a 10 year old to know about the speed of light?

It is not common for a 10 year old to know about the speed of light, but it is not uncommon either. Children have a natural curiosity and can grasp complex concepts if they are explained in an age-appropriate manner.

3. How did your cousin understand such a complex concept at a young age?

My cousin has a strong interest in science and I have always encouraged her to ask questions and explore different topics. I explained the concept of the speed of light to her using simple examples and visuals, making it easier for her to understand.

4. Did your cousin conduct any experiments to learn about the speed of light?

No, my cousin did not conduct any experiments to learn about the speed of light. However, we did watch videos and demonstrations of experiments that scientists have done to measure the speed of light.

5. How can I help my child learn about complex scientific concepts like the speed of light?

You can help your child learn about complex scientific concepts by providing them with age-appropriate resources such as books, documentaries, and interactive activities. Encourage them to ask questions and explore their interests. You can also explain the concepts using simple examples and visuals to make it easier for them to understand.