Average Oxygen Molecule Travel Distance in a Tank

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the distance an oxygen molecule travels before colliding with another molecule in a tank full of oxygen at 1.00 atm and 21.0°C. The equation used was l=1/[(2^.5)(pi)(d^2)(nsubv)], and after plugging in the correct values, the result was 3.98e16 molecular diameters. However, the other person advised to double check the numbers and use SI units for accuracy.
Kawrae
In a tank full of oxygen, how many molecular diameters d (on average) does an oxygen molecule travel (at 1.00 atm and 21.0°C) before colliding with another O2 molecule? (The diameter of the O2 molecule is approximately 3.60 10-10 m.)

>> I don't know why webassign is telling me this is wrong and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I used this equation:

l=1/[(2^.5)(pi)(d^2)(nsubv)]

Since n subv is equal to N/V which is equal to P/kb*T, I got 2.49e25.

Then I just plugged everything in... and got 1.43e7 and divided by the diameter to see how many times it would cross that distance... and I got 3.98e16

What did I do wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
The result is absurd.Check your numbers.
[tex] \lambda=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}\pi n d^{2}}=\frac{kT}{\sqrt{2}\pi p d^{2}} [/tex]

Plug the constants and the numbers in SI units correctly which means carefully.

Daniel.

It seems like you have used the correct equations and values to calculate the average distance an oxygen molecule travels before colliding with another molecule. However, the answer you have obtained may not be correct. It is possible that there is a mistake in your calculations or in the values you have used. I would recommend double-checking your work and using the correct units for each value (e.g. converting temperature to Kelvin). Additionally, it may be helpful to ask your instructor or a classmate for assistance in solving this problem. Keep in mind that the answer may also vary slightly due to experimental error.

What is the average oxygen molecule travel distance in a tank?

The average oxygen molecule travel distance in a tank can vary depending on several factors, including the size of the tank, the pressure of the oxygen, and the temperature of the tank. However, on average, oxygen molecules can travel up to several kilometers in a tank.

How does pressure affect the distance oxygen molecules can travel in a tank?

As pressure increases in a tank, the distance oxygen molecules can travel decreases. This is because higher pressure means the oxygen molecules are more tightly packed together, making it more difficult for them to move freely.

What is the relationship between temperature and oxygen molecule travel distance in a tank?

The relationship between temperature and oxygen molecule travel distance in a tank is inversely proportional. This means that as temperature increases, the distance oxygen molecules can travel decreases. This is because higher temperatures cause the molecules to move faster, making it more difficult for them to travel a long distance.

Can the material of the tank affect the average oxygen molecule travel distance?

Yes, the material of the tank can affect the average oxygen molecule travel distance. Some materials, such as copper, have a lower diffusion rate, meaning the oxygen molecules will not be able to travel as far compared to a tank made of a material with a higher diffusion rate, such as stainless steel.

Why is it important to know the average oxygen molecule travel distance in a tank?

Knowing the average oxygen molecule travel distance in a tank is important for safety reasons. If the tank is too small or the pressure is too high, the oxygen molecules may not be able to travel far enough to provide an adequate supply of oxygen. This information is also crucial in designing and maintaining oxygen tanks for various industries, such as healthcare and aviation.