Convert 1-5V to 4-20mA: Which op-amp ?

In summary, the conversation discusses voltage to current conversion and using an op-amp for this purpose. The use of the LM741 op-amp is questioned due to its maximum current output. Alternative op-amps such as the LM10, LM163, and LH0045 are suggested for this application. The possibility of using a single supply op-amp is also mentioned. The use of the TI XTR110 for industrial controllers is suggested. The conversation also mentions the use of a transistor driver stage to help with current output. Finally, a link to a setup example is provided for more information.
Etude
So i found this post about voltage to current conversion.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_8/7.htmlhttp://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_8/7.html

It talks about how to convert 1-5V to 4-20mA which is exactly what I am trying to do. I have attached the circuit which I am referring to.

I have a small question which well, might be a bit dumb but please help!

Can I use an op-amp such as LM741 from TI in this circuit or is that amp some special kind of amp? Please help.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    3 KB · Views: 4,402
Engineering news on Phys.org
I may be misremembering, but I think that most versions of the LM741 can source or sink about 30 mA max. So while it may run warm, it should work if other concerns (like switching speed) are not an issue; the 741 is not the last word in op-amps, and there are many faster and higher power capable ones to choose from. what sort of data rates are you expecting?

You could always buffer the 741 output with an npn transistor if you're concerned about overtaxing the beast, or choose a beefier op-amp that won't sweat the current. you might even be able to get away with a single supply (only positive supply voltage required) capable op-amp for your application, if that's an issue.

By switching speed what are you referring to ?

Actually I have only used the LM741 amp once before and actually have no experience with using amps apart from that one so I asked if I could use that one. Do you have any suggestions of other amps that I can look at ?

A little searching shows three ICs that are commonly used for DC to 4-20 mA converters. They are LM10, LM163, and LH0045. You would have to look at them and their application notes to decide which.

Etude said:
By switching speed what are you referring to ?
Essentially, how fast is your input voltage changing? Is it sine waves or pulses? If pulses, the speed (bandwidth) of the amplifier will determine how well the current waveform retains the "square side" shape of the pulse.
Actually I have only used the LM741 amp once before and actually have no experience with using amps apart from that one so I asked if I could use that one. Do you have any suggestions of other amps that I can look at ?
I see that Bobbywhy has provided some suggestions.

Thank you! I shall follow that up. :D

Oh no! It s an analog voltage that I will control and will not be abrupt at all.

I've used TI's XTR110 in industrial conrollers
it's made for just that job and saves a lot of work..

see datasheet here
http://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/xtr110

see page 6 for input ranges and recommended pass transistor.

Jim, actually I did read through that but could not make out head or tail of the circuits. (sorry my electrical is rather poor being a mech person). The circuit with the amp and resistor seemed really easy to understand so I thought I d try that out first...

Sounds great -- we learn 10X more by doing than by just reading about it.

if the 741 isn't quite stout enough just add a transistor driver stage to output, 2n3904 or something...

Have fun !

True. Things look easier on paper. It s a mess getting some things working! haha!

Ok! thanks a lot for your help ! :) everyone!

If you use the common current drive setup, the opamp drives a transistor which will drive the current and you use a resistor as feedback, any opamp which matches your voltage, frequncy, bandwith, budget needs will do. Also a LM741.

see: for a example setup [noparse]http://www.divize.com/techinfo/4-20ma-potentiometer.html[/noparse]

Regards,
Heinrich

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an op-amp?

An op-amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It is commonly used in electronic circuits for various purposes such as amplification, filtering, and signal conditioning.

What is the purpose of converting 1-5V to 4-20mA?

The purpose of converting 1-5V to 4-20mA is to change the voltage signal into a current signal. This is often done to transmit signals over long distances, as current signals are less susceptible to noise and can travel further without losing strength.

Which op-amp is best for converting 1-5V to 4-20mA?

There are many op-amps that can be used for this conversion, but some popular choices include the LM358, LM741, and TL082. It is important to choose an op-amp with a high gain and low offset voltage to ensure accurate conversion.

What are the steps for converting 1-5V to 4-20mA using an op-amp?

The steps for converting 1-5V to 4-20mA using an op-amp are as follows:

1. Choose an appropriate op-amp and gather necessary components such as resistors and capacitors.
  2. Construct a non-inverting amplifier circuit using the op-amp and resistors.
  3. Connect the 1-5V input signal to the non-inverting input of the op-amp.
  4. Adjust the gain of the amplifier to convert the 1-5V range to 4-20mA.
  5. Include a low pass filter to remove any unwanted noise.
  6. Connect the output of the op-amp to a current-to-voltage converter to convert the amplified current signal back to a voltage signal.
  7. The output of the current-to-voltage converter should now be a 4-20mA signal.

Are there any limitations or considerations when using an op-amp to convert 1-5V to 4-20mA?

Yes, there are a few limitations and considerations to keep in mind when using an op-amp for this conversion:

• The op-amp should have a high enough supply voltage to accommodate the desired output current range.
  • The op-amp should have a high gain and low offset voltage to ensure accurate conversion.
  • The input and output impedance of the op-amp should be matched to avoid signal loss.
  • The op-amp should be properly biased to ensure stable operation.
  • Care should be taken to avoid noise and interference, as these can affect the accuracy of the conversion.