Solving ∫log(1+acosx) by Differentiation Under Integral Sign

In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for the logarithm of a function. They start by differentiating the function and then try to find a substitution that will simplify the equation. However, they run into trouble when they try to find the function's derivative.
msmmpts

Homework Statement

solve ∫log(1+acosx) by differentiation under integral sign (limits are 0 to ∏)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

=∫(1/1+acosx)cosxdx(by leibinitz by differentiating partially WRT a.

Then how do I proceed,can anyone show me all the steps of reduction to standard integral forms??

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF; :)
what is the base of the logarithm?
by "acos(x)" do you mean ##a\cos(x)## or ##\arccos(x)##?
Then how do I proceed,can anyone show me all the steps of reduction to standard integral forms??
No - because that would be against the rules. But we can try pointing you in promising looking directions in the hope you'll figure it out...

I'd have been tempted to sub:
##e^u=1+\arccos(x) \Rightarrow x=\cos(1-e^u);##
... gets rid of both pesky functions at once.
Then I'd look for a further substitution or explore integrating by parts a couple of times.

The other way ... ##e^u=1+a\cos(x)## ;)

hmmm... actually, Leibnitz's rule looks simpler... back in a tick.

Last edited:
$$u(\alpha)=\int_0^\pi \ln|1+\alpha\cos(x)|dx = \int_0^\pi f(x,\alpha)dx= \int_0^\pi \frac{\partial}{\partial\alpha}f(x,\alpha)dx$$ ... note that ##\alpha\cos(\pi)=-\alpha## may be less than -1 making the argument of the logarithm negative.

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial\alpha}f(x,\alpha)
=\frac{\partial}{\partial\alpha}\ln|1+\alpha\cos(x)|=\frac{\cos(x)}{1+\alpha\cos(x)}$$... but would this have to be changed if ##|\alpha| > 1##

so you end up with: $$u(\alpha)=\int_0^\pi \frac{\cos(x)}{1+\alpha\cos(x)}dx$$... which is where you are at.

well I suppose you could get rid of the trig functions with ##z=\cos(x)## and the identity ##\sin(\arccos(z))=\sqrt{1-z^2}## but I don't hold out much hope.

the other thing to try is ##\cos(x)=\frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}+e^{-ix})##

I suppose there is always looking for p(x) and q(x) satisfying: $$q^2=1+\alpha\cos(x)$$ and $$q\frac{dp}{dx}-p\frac{dq}{dx}=\cos(x)$$... which will give you a first-order DE in p(x) to solve.

Then, by the quotient rule: $$u(\alpha)=\frac{p}{q}$$... nothing looks tidy and a quick squiz at Wolfram's calculator suggests nothing will be.

[note that ##1+\alpha\cos(x)## can be understood as ##|\vec{u}+\vec{v}|## where ##x## is the angle between the two vectors.]

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
what is the base of the logarithm?
by "acos(x)" do you mean ##a\cos(x)## or ##\arccos(x)##?
No - because that would be against the rules. But we can try pointing you in promising looking directions in the hope you'll figure it out...

I'd have been tempted to sub:
##e^u=1+\arccos(x) \Rightarrow x=\cos(1-e^u);##
... gets rid of both pesky functions at once.
Then I'd look for a further substitution or explore integrating by parts a couple of times.

The other way ... ##e^u=1+a\cos(x)## ;)

hmmm... actually, Leibnitz's rule looks simpler... back in a tick.

it is "acosx"..a is the parameter

Simon Bridge said:
$$u(\alpha)=\int_0^\pi \ln|1+\alpha\cos(x)|dx = \int_0^\pi f(x,\alpha)dx= \int_0^\pi \frac{\partial}{\partial\alpha}f(x,\alpha)dx$$ ... note that ##\alpha\cos(\pi)=-\alpha## may be less than -1 making the argument of the logarithm negative.

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial\alpha}f(x,\alpha)
=\frac{\partial}{\partial\alpha}\ln|1+\alpha\cos(x)|=\frac{\cos(x)}{1+\alpha\cos(x)}$$... but would this have to be changed if ##|\alpha| > 1##

so you end up with: $$u(\alpha)=\int_0^\pi \frac{\cos(x)}{1+\alpha\cos(x)}dx$$... which is where you are at.

well I suppose you could get rid of the trig functions with ##z=\cos(x)## and the identity ##\sin(\arccos(z))=\sqrt{1-z^2}## but I don't hold out much hope.

the other thing to try is ##\cos(x)=\frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}+e^{-ix})##

If I could get rid of cosx from numerator,then
we could have substituted tan(x/2)=t
dx=2dt/1+tsquare
cosx=1-tsquare/1+tsquare.

I tried dividing num&denom by cosx but no good.

Ah - Weierstrass substitution is probably better earlier than that:$$\ln|1+\alpha\cos(x)| = \ln|1+t^2 -\alpha(1-t^2)|-\ln|1+t^2|$$... but I suspect we'll end up with the same trouble when we try to find f(t): dx=f(t)dt
[edit]since the substitution is ##\tan(\frac{x}{2})=t## then $$dx = \frac{2}{1+t^2}dt$$... still not optimistic [/edit]

I had another look at the substitution: ##e^z=1+\alpha\cos(x) \Rightarrow x=-\arccos(\frac{1-e^z}{\alpha})## because $$dx = -\frac{1}{\alpha}\sqrt{\frac{e^z}{2-e^z}}dz$$... or something.
This would suggest an integration by parts to get rid of the stray z in the integrand, which may lead to hyperbolic functions.

I think that's about the best I can do.
The end result is very messy - the best you can do is try to ease the pain in getting there.

Aside: looks unusually painful for a homework exercise - perhaps there is something in the context that will simplify the problem for you?

Last edited:
simon,according to the exercise the final result does not contain any hyperbolic terms.

1. How does differentiation under the integral sign work?

Differentiation under the integral sign is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals that cannot be evaluated using traditional methods. It involves taking the derivative of both sides of the integral with respect to a variable contained within the integral. This allows us to convert the integral into a differential equation, which can then be solved using standard techniques.

2. Why is differentiation under the integral sign useful?

There are many integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods, such as substitution or integration by parts. In these cases, differentiation under the integral sign can provide a solution. It can also simplify complex integrals and make them easier to evaluate.

3. How do you solve ∫log(1+acosx) using differentiation under the integral sign?

To solve this integral, we first take the derivative of both sides with respect to x. This gives us the differential equation dI/dx = log(1+acosx). We can then solve this differential equation using standard techniques, such as separation of variables. Once we have the solution, we can then integrate it to find the original integral I.

4. Are there any limitations to using differentiation under the integral sign?

While differentiation under the integral sign can be a useful technique, it is not always applicable. It only works for integrals that contain a variable that can be differentiated with respect to. It also may not always provide a solution, as some integrals are inherently unsolvable.

5. Can differentiation under the integral sign be used for more complex integrals?

Yes, differentiation under the integral sign can be used for a wide range of integrals, including those with multiple variables or complex functions. However, the process may become more complicated and may require additional techniques, such as partial differentiation or power series expansion.