Felix Baumgartner and the speed of sound

In summary: Eventually, the air becomes so dense that drag becomes the dominant force and he starts to slow down.
Hope Lansing
Doesn't Felix have an advantage when breaking the sound barrier since the air in which he is moving is less dense, therefore the speed of sound itself is considerably slower?

(Felix Baumgartner is the man who recently jumped from 128,000 feet in an attempt to become the first man to break the sound barrier without the aid of a vehicle)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may be factually correct (probably are) but it is irrelevant because (as I understand it) they did not actually consider whether he was breaking the sound barrier in the medium he was IN, they just looked to see was he going faster than the speed that is the sound barrier in normal air.

I see there is a whole 'nother thread on this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=643395&highlight=Felix+Baumgartner

Last edited:
I saw this thread. The speed of sound was more of an after thought, and it wasn't discussed to the extent to how it varies with the medium in which it travels, so I decided to start a new thread. Thanks for the reply. I agree that the sound barrier by which he is measured is the sound barrier in normal atmospheric pressure. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

One of the statements in the other thread said the poster thought that they HAD adjusted for the medium he was in but I have no idea if that's true.

My mistake then. I must have overlooked that bit.

I am pretty sure they did take into account the medium he was in. The sound speed decreases with altitude because, for a thermally and calorically perfect gas, it varies with temperature. It was all a matter of hitting the local speed of sound before the air got dense enough that the drag became too high. From everything I have seen, he made it to roughly Mach 1.24 in the air he was in at the time.

This is a common misconception - the speed of sound is independent of density for an ideal gas. It's true that the speed of sound is slower at high altitude, but this is an effect due to temperature - the speed of sound (assuming the gas composition is constant, and it behaves as an ideal gas, both of which are very good assumptions for the atmosphere at that altitude) is only dependent on temperature. Specifically, it is proportional to the square root of temperature. Because it is colder at altitude, the speed of sound is slower.

That having been said, the low density did work to his advantage - not by lowering the speed of sound, but by decreasing the drag force he felt at a given velocity. Drag force is proportional to density, so the vastly less dense air at altitude decreased the drag force enough to allow his terminal velocity to be supersonic, at least at first.

What is the speed of sound, and how does Felix Baumgartner's jump relate to it?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound waves travel through a medium. In Earth's atmosphere, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second. Felix Baumgartner's jump from the edge of space reached speeds of over 1,342 kilometers per hour, which is faster than the speed of sound.

Why was Felix Baumgartner's jump significant for the study of supersonic flight?

Felix Baumgartner's jump provided valuable data and insights into the effects of supersonic speeds on the human body and equipment. This information is crucial for the development of supersonic aircraft and spacecraft.

What were the main challenges and risks that Felix Baumgartner faced during his jump?

Some of the main challenges and risks that Felix Baumgartner faced during his jump included potential loss of control, extreme changes in air pressure and temperature, and the risk of his suit not functioning properly. Additionally, he had to deal with the psychological challenges of jumping from such a high altitude.

How did Felix Baumgartner prepare for his jump and ensure his safety?

Felix Baumgartner underwent extensive physical and mental training to prepare for his jump. He also worked closely with a team of experts to design and test his equipment, including his specially-designed suit and parachute. Safety measures, such as emergency protocols and backup systems, were also put in place to ensure his well-being.

What were the main scientific and technological advancements that resulted from Felix Baumgartner's jump?

Felix Baumgartner's jump led to advancements in various fields, including aerospace engineering, materials science, and human physiology. It also provided valuable data for future space exploration and the development of high-altitude and supersonic technologies. Additionally, it inspired further research and innovation in the areas of extreme sports and human performance.