Sub Nitrogen Phase Change Compressor unit

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of cooling a computer's processor for overclocking purposes. The traditional methods of cooling involve using a cascade phase change unit or a pot filled with liquid nitrogen. However, the cost of liquid helium is too high for regular use. The idea of using a compressor with liquid nitrogen to achieve sub-zero temperatures is brought up, but the speaker admits to not being scientifically literate. A guide to overclocking is referenced and it is suggested that a cryocooler may be the solution, which can be purchased ready-made.
jebusv20
Hey guys, I don't post here often but I like to come here when I have a problem that really rattles my brain.

I am an 'overclocker' by hobby (I tune computers), a big part of the overclocking scene is cooling the processor of the computer as far as possible. For years now the 'best' way of doing this has either been the use of a cascade phase change unit (phase change compressor cooling the hot side of another phase change compressor) or what is known as a pot (essentially a large 3kg+ cup of copper) that is often filled with liquid Nitrogen good for -196C.

There is also the very rare use of liquid helium at -250C or so, but the cost of liquid helium is so prohibitive that helium runs happen no more than half a dozen times a year all around the world.

My idea is, could a compressor be used, with the hot side bathed in liquid nitrogen to create a temperate delta allowing for sub 200-250 temperatures on the cold side?

I am completely aware that 90% of this will not make much sense as I am not as scientifically literate as I would like to be (IT at university, not Eng). If you believe you can help, please ask questions so I can translate to smart.

appendix:
a guide to what overclocking is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LrsN3r_gVJU

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a Sub Nitrogen Phase Change Compressor unit?

A Sub Nitrogen Phase Change Compressor unit is a type of refrigeration unit that uses subcooling and phase change technology to compress and cool nitrogen gas. It is commonly used in industrial and scientific applications to create low temperatures for processes such as cryopreservation and superconductivity.

2. How does a Sub Nitrogen Phase Change Compressor unit work?

The unit works by first compressing nitrogen gas to a high pressure and then passing it through a heat exchanger where it is cooled to a temperature below its boiling point. This results in liquid nitrogen, which is then further cooled through a phase change process to reach temperatures as low as -196°C or -321°F. The cold liquid nitrogen is then circulated through the system to provide cooling.

3. What are the advantages of using a Sub Nitrogen Phase Change Compressor unit?

One of the main advantages is its ability to reach very low temperatures, making it ideal for applications that require extreme cooling. It also has a high cooling capacity and is more energy efficient compared to other refrigeration methods. Additionally, the use of nitrogen gas makes it a non-toxic and environmentally friendly option.

4. What are the limitations of a Sub Nitrogen Phase Change Compressor unit?

One limitation is that it can only be used for cooling and not for heating. It also requires a constant supply of nitrogen gas, which may be expensive and require special handling. Additionally, the unit may require regular maintenance and can be noisy during operation.

5. What are the common applications of a Sub Nitrogen Phase Change Compressor unit?

This type of compressor unit is commonly used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and semiconductor manufacturing for processes that require precise and ultra-low temperatures. It is also used in research laboratories for experiments and studies that involve cryogenics and superconductivity. Other applications include food and beverage production, medical imaging, and aerospace engineering.