Why do bubbles in water form perfect spheres?

In summary, the pressure on the top of a bubble is greater than the pressure on the bottom, which makes up for the differing pressures of water on the top and bottom of the bubble. It is possible to calculate the pressure of an air bubble by using the height of the liquid surrounding it.
sgstudent

Homework Statement

1)In a bubble the air molecules spread themselves out equally. However, outside where there is liquid, the pressure on the higher part is greater than below. So why would the bubble be perfectly round?

Also, would the pressure in the bubble be calculated via the hpg of the bubble as demonstrated in this image:
http://postimage.org/image/67myy06gl/full/

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

1)I am guessing that the air molecules in the bubble aren't spreaded out equally and on top the pressure exerted on the membrane of the bubble is greater than below. So this makes up for the higher pressure of water acting on the membrane on top than below. Hence the bubble is perfectly spherical. But still the air pressure cannot provide so much difference such that it should be equal right?

2) i think so because there is no formula for find the pressure of the air alone (usually when we use hpg, it would be of the fluid covering the whole system). But is it possible to find the pressure of the air bubble at point A by using hpg? If so how will it be done?

Thanks for the help! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are bubbles round under water?

CWatters said:
Are bubbles round under water?

i think so? Or they are oval shaped? If that is so then it explains the pressure difference on the different height of the bubble. But still, is it possible to use hρg on the inside of the bubble to find the pressure? Because in most cases the h we use is the 'covering' fluid and not the one immersed like the bubble.

I think the answer is to do with surface tension playing a greater role than pressure differences. It is after all surface tension that keeps the air molecules together.

DeShark said:
I think the answer is to do with surface tension playing a greater role than pressure differences. It is after all surface tension that keeps the air molecules together.

oh okay i understand now. but for the second question, if we have a gas bubble in water, we can find the pressure exerted on it by using hpg where h is the height of the liquid at various points on the bubble. But is it possible to find the pressure exerted onto the water molecules by the bubble using hpg?

I'm pretty confused because in most cases the height, h in hpg is usually the main covering fluid but still is it possible to use hpg for the air bubble if so how?

Thanks for the help :smile:

1. What causes round bubbles in water?

Round bubbles in water are typically caused by the presence of gas, such as oxygen or carbon dioxide, which is released from the water due to changes in temperature, pressure, or agitation. These gases form spherical bubbles due to the surface tension of the water.

2. Why do bubbles in water sometimes appear clear and other times have a rainbow color?

The color of bubbles in water is determined by the thickness of the bubble's walls and the angle at which light passes through it. When the walls are thin, light passes through and creates a rainbow effect, known as iridescence. When the walls are thicker, the light is reflected off the surface, causing the bubble to appear clear.

3. How do bubbles form in water?

Bubbles in water form when gas molecules become trapped beneath the surface of the water. As more gas molecules accumulate, the surface tension of the water stretches and forms a spherical shape. This process is known as nucleation.

4. Are bubbles in water harmful?

No, bubbles in water are not harmful unless they are contaminated with harmful substances. In fact, bubbles can be beneficial as they help to oxygenate the water and promote the growth of aquatic plants and organisms.

5. Why do bubbles in water eventually pop?

Bubbles in water eventually pop due to a decrease in surface tension. As the gas inside the bubble expands, the walls become thinner and the surface tension decreases, causing the bubble to burst. Other factors such as contact with oils or dirt can also cause bubbles to pop.