Find the charge on each capacitor

In summary, The problem involves finding the charge on four capacitors in a circuit with a battery supplying 18 V. The first step is to close switch S1, resulting in two capacitors in series and two in parallel. The next step is to calculate the effective capacitance for each set, using the formula for capacitors in series and parallel. Finally, the charge on each capacitor can be found using the definition of capacitance and the fact that capacitors in series have the same charge, while capacitors in parallel have the same potential.
Gonger
I'm trying to do this problem, its is posted below, where I have a circuit with four capacitors and I have to determine the charge on each one. I've been trying to follow an example from my textbook but that's not really helping me. I've been also trying to break it down with capacitors in parallel and in series, but I keep getting stuck. Anyone have any suggestions for any of this. There is a diagram of the circuit in the attachement. And this is the question:

In the figure, battery B supplies 18 V. Find the charge on each capacitor first when only switch S1 is closed. Take C1=1.3 µF, C2=2.3 µF, C3=3.6 µF, and C4=4.2 µF.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 26-33.jpg
    26-33.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 2,226
Physics news on Phys.org
If s1 is closed the top and bottom two are in series and then you have two that are in parallel.

Edit: If s2 is closed first than you simply have the left set and right set in parallel and then the two equivelent are in series.

yeah I've got that all figured out, its calculating it from there that I am having problems with.

I would first calculate the effective capacitance of the circuit.

Since C1 and C3 are in series then their effective capacitance is [itex]C_{13} = \{ \frac {1}{C_1} + \frac {1}{C_3}\}^{-1}[/itex]

Like wise the effective capacitor between C2 and C4 is [itex]C_{24} = \{ \frac {1}{C_2} + \frac {1}{C_4} \}^{-1}[/itex]

Now you can use the definition of a capitance to find out the charge in [itex]C_{i}[/itex]

[itex]Q = C_{i} V [/itex]

Then you use the fact that capacitors in series have the same charge, Q. While capacitors in parallel have the same potential, V.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the charge on a capacitor?

The formula for finding the charge on a capacitor is Q = CV, where Q is the charge in coulombs, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage across the capacitor in volts.

2. How do I determine the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be determined by dividing the charge on the capacitor by the voltage across it, or by using a capacitance meter.

3. Can the charge on a capacitor be negative?

Yes, the charge on a capacitor can be negative if the capacitor is connected in reverse polarity or if it is discharged in the opposite direction of its original charge.

4. How does the charge on a capacitor affect its energy storage?

The charge on a capacitor directly affects its energy storage, with a higher charge resulting in a higher energy storage capacity. This is because the energy stored in a capacitor is directly proportional to the square of its charge.

5. What factors can affect the charge on a capacitor?

The charge on a capacitor can be affected by factors such as the voltage across the capacitor, the capacitance of the capacitor, and the material and geometry of the capacitor's plates.