I want to make a variable watt device

In summary, a beginner would not be able to make a regulated wattage device with the components and skills they have.
hexeros
i was looking at an e-cig and wondering how it regulates watts. would it be viable to make your own?

for those of you who don't know they run off of a 18650 3.7v battery that powers a coil. the coil is in the ballpark of .3 - 3.5 ohms.

how do i get 30 watts of regulated power and jam it though a 1ohm coil from a 3.7 volt battery. or 25watts or 50watts. just whatever wattage i want.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hexeros said:
i was looking at an e-cig and wondering how it regulates watts. would it be viable to make your own?

for those of you who don't know they run off of a 18650 3.7v battery that powers a coil. the coil is in the ballpark of .3 - 3.5 ohms.

how do i get 30 watts of regulated power and jam it though a 1ohm coil from a 3.7 volt battery. or 25watts or 50watts. just whatever wattage i want.
Hi hexeros. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

If your dissipating element is limited to a 1Ω resistance, then there is no way to have it dissipate 25w or 50w other than by supplying it with the applicable higher voltage. If using DC then you'll need 5v and 7.07v resp., so this means your 3.7v will need a circuit to step it up to a higher potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/114901-evercool-variable-voltage-mod.html for example?

ultimately what i want to do the replicate this without the led.

http://www.evolvapor.com/datasheet/dna30.pdf

@N O

bear with me if you would and watch this. its lengthy but its will give you a better understanding of what i want to do.

You need a switching power supply to convert the lithium battery to a higher voltage. The link I posted shows the basics, although the switching module they used doesn't work down to 3.2V (lowest lithium battery voltage) and doesn't produce a high enough output voltage for the power and elements you describe. But it shows the basic elementsa for a rudimentary device.

Some of these devices are pretty sophisticated in terms of heating profile, etc. You will have a lot to learn about the heating elements and optimum performance profiles if you want to build a good one.

The unit you linked to has an ARM cortex M3 microcontroller. Granted part of that is needed for the display and user interface features, but I expect there is some fancy power control too.

thanks but the one you linked needs 4.2v min to run. run the to batteries in series giving additional voltage?

I would use a different switching supply. I just wanted to show you the basic idea.

Actually, to put 50W through 3.5 ohms, you need 13 volts and 3.8 amps which will draw 15 amps from the battery when it is 3.2V. That's a reasonably beefy supply, and will require a sophisticated pcb layout.

The supply design might look something like this: http://www.linear.com/solutions/4851 with an adjustment for output voltage. You might want to look at the data sheet and the layout reccomendations for an idea. Do you have PCB layout tools or experience?

negative and limited. i do have a local radio shack and the time to figure this stuff out.

seems a bit advanced for a beginner. can you link any good tutorials or videos to get me started

Well, if you want a compact, commercially viable efficient solution to compete with the dna30, I wouldn't know where to start. If you just want to mess around with vaps, there are lots of links (even a mod to turn a flashlight into a vap).

The link I posted was the simplest. You could try multiple batteries, or try to find a more suitable power module. http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slts284f/slts284f.pdf is good reading. It is the module used (PTR08100W) Hmmm -- it seems to be a step down module only. The input voltage has to be higher than the output desired.

http://www.ti.com/lit/sg/slvt145m/slvt145m.pdf describes lots of power solutions. I found nothing that does exactly what you want.

You want a 3.3 V input (3.2 to 4.2V), 5V to 13V (7V?) output 50W(30W?) boost switching power module.

Not sure this is the greatest advice, but possibly you can use a unit with lower rated output power since the use is intermittent. This would give you something to play with, anyway. For example
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2577-DC-DC-Boost-Step-up-Power-Supply-Converter-Module-3-30V-4-35v-Adjustable-/310777154161?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item485bc30a71

You may burn it out quickly, but at least it is cheap fun.

There are more such power modules around. Just search a bit. For example, on ebay, I used "dc power supply module step up -buck -down" for search.

What is a variable watt device?

A variable watt device is a type of electronic device that allows the user to adjust the amount of power (watts) being delivered to the device's coil. This can be useful for achieving different levels of vapor production and flavor intensity in vaping devices, or for controlling the temperature in electronic devices such as heaters or ovens.

How does a variable watt device work?

A variable watt device typically has a microchip that regulates the power output based on the user's settings. The user can adjust the wattage through buttons or a dial on the device, which sends a signal to the microchip to adjust the power accordingly. This allows for more precise control over the device's performance.

What are the benefits of using a variable watt device?

One of the main benefits of using a variable watt device is the ability to customize the vaping experience or the operation of electronic devices. Users can adjust the wattage to their preferences, whether they prefer a stronger or milder flavor/vapor production, or need a specific temperature for their device to function optimally.

Are there any safety concerns with variable watt devices?

Like any electronic device, it is important to use a variable watt device according to the manufacturer's instructions to ensure safety. Users should also make sure to use compatible batteries and avoid overcharging or using damaged batteries. It is also important to properly clean and maintain the device to prevent any potential hazards.

Can anyone use a variable watt device?

Variable watt devices are generally safe for anyone to use, but it is important for users to understand how to operate the device properly. It is also important to note that some devices may require more technical knowledge and experience to use, so it is best to research and consult with experts before using a variable watt device.