Word Problem about Special Relativity

In summary: Since the clock is stationary in its rest frame, and you are moving in its rest frame, the light travels a distance vΔt in a time vΔt.So you will see the clock reading t=Δt-vΔt=Δt(1-v/c)So when the ruler reads 0, the clock at the left end reads -L0/2γv(1-v/c) and the clock at the right end reads L0/2γv(1-v/c)(b) When you turn around, you stay in the same frame. You are still in "you" frame, and the ruler is still in its "W" frame. Since you are still in the same frame
philcsar
hi. i am getting really confused about which should be the primed and unprimed values. id just like to check if what i did was right. thank you. :D

Problem:
A meterstick is glued to the wall with its 100cm end farther to the right in the positive direction. It has a clock at its center and one on each end. You walk by the meterstick in the possitive direction at speed .
(a) when you each the center clock, it reads 0. what do the other two read at this instant in your frame.
(b) you instantly reverse direction. The clock at the center is still reading 0 and so is yours. what do the others read?
(c) How does this relate to the twin paradox?

My solution:
(a) since the person is walking with velocity v, he composes the frame S'
since the meterstick is stationary, it composes the frame S

using Lorentz Transfromation:
t' = γ(-xv/c^2 +t)

x => x/2 since you reached the center clock
t = 0 since the reading is zero

thus, t' = -0.5γxv/c^2 (left clock) and it will be +0.5γxv/c^2 (right clock)

(b) right clock will be -0.5γxv/c^2 and left clock will be +0.5γxv/c^2 (by symmetry)

(c) i don't know

Physics news on Phys.org
philcsar said:
hi. i am getting really confused about which should be the primed and unprimed values.
Welcome to PF;
That is common - the secret is to concentrate on who is doing the observing and remember the physical result rather than the equations.

Generally the primed value is the one measured in the unprimed frame, of something that is moving in that frame.

Problem:
A meterstick is glued to the wall with its 100cm end farther to the right in the positive direction. It has a clock at its center and one on each end. You walk by the meterstick in the possitive direction at speed .
(a) when you each the center clock, it reads 0. what do the other two read at this instant in your frame.
(b) you instantly reverse direction. The clock at the center is still reading 0 and so is yours. what do the others read?
(c) How does this relate to the twin paradox?

My solution:
(a) since the person is walking with velocity v, he composes the frame S'
since the meterstick is stationary, it composes the frame S
There is no absolute motion - every observer is stationary in their own frame.
- you need to relate the "moving" and "stationary" objects to who's taking the measurements.

In this case "you" are making the observations.
Therefore "you" are stationary. The ruler is doing the moving.

This means that "you go at some speed v" means that the meter ruler is traveling backwards at some speed v.

The rest-length (or "proper" length) of the meter stick is the length measured in the W for "wall" reference frame. It's length in the Y for "you" reference frame is L=L0

... notice I am using a subscript-zero to refer to the rest-length?
There are only two frames, so I don't have to give the you-length a special subscript.
If you like, you can compare that to the primed/unprimed notation.

All the laws of physics take their normal form inside the same reference frame.
So when the 50cm mark on the ruler is next to you, and your clock reads 0s, then the 0cm mark of the ruler was next to you when your clock reads Δt=-L/2v (because the ruler traveled a distance L/2 at speed v). In terms of the ruler rest-length, that is Δt=-L0/2γv

When you look at a clock, the time you see on it's display will be the time elapsed, in its rest frame, since it last read 0, minus the time it takes the light from the clock to reach you.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the behavior of objects in motion at high speeds, close to the speed of light. It explains how time, space, and mass are relative and can change depending on an observer's frame of reference.

2. How does special relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Special relativity differs from classical mechanics in that it takes into account the speed of light as a constant, rather than assuming that time and space are absolute. It also introduces the concept of time dilation, where time moves slower for objects in motion at high speeds.

3. What is the equation for time dilation in special relativity?

The equation for time dilation is t' = t / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where t' is the observed time, t is the time in the moving frame, v is the relative velocity, and c is the speed of light.

4. Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity can be applied to everyday situations. For example, GPS technology uses special relativity to make accurate calculations for location and time. Additionally, astronauts in space experience time dilation due to their high speeds.

5. Is special relativity supported by experimental evidence?

Yes, special relativity has been extensively tested and supported by experimental evidence. One famous experiment that confirmed special relativity was the Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference. Numerous other experiments have also confirmed the predictions of special relativity.