Where and how do I start learning about electricity?

• Thread starter TheSatirist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, this person is looking for reliable websites and/or sources that they may learn basic electricity things, or some tips and ideas on where to start from someone who is obviously more educated in this field.
TheSatirist
Hello, thank you for taking the time to read this. I am so uneducated that I do not know how to even begin to explain what I am even uneducated in so, I'll just attempt to explain.

I am fascinated with electricity and the endless things we can do with it, I am more specifically interested in Nikola Tesla's work. I am fairly young(15 years of age), and I do not know where to begin learning about electricity. I would eventually like to understand how and why Tesla's ideas worked. But first I must learn the basics. I am completely in the dark about how to start learning about electricity. I'd like to begin with having complete understanding of how electricity is made, not just the process, but WHY the process works. I want to know the laws, the theories, the conditions, the materials used, and anything else relevant to the basic making of electricity. I believe if I can learn the 'ins' and the 'outs' of that, I'll be able to take my research further because I will have my feet wet.

So, to wrap this up, I am looking for reliable websites and/or sources that I may learn basic 'electricity things(I do not know a better way of putting that)', or some tips and ideas of where else to start from someone who is obviously far more educated in this field.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you have a good Internet connection, you could try watching videos on YouTube.

www.youtube.com

Just search for "electricity introduction" or similar.

A lot of these videos are made by experienced teachers and you can choose one that presents the material at your level.

vk6kro said:
If you have a good Internet connection, you could try watching videos on YouTube.

www.youtube.com

Just search for "electricity introduction" or similar.

A lot of these videos are made by experienced teachers and you can choose one that presents the material at your level.

Thank you vk6kro, I was never very good at phrasing things when searching the web, that sounds like it should do the trick.

TheSatirist said:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to read this. I am so uneducated that I do not know how to even begin to explain what I am even uneducated in so, I'll just attempt to explain.

I am fascinated with electricity and the endless things we can do with it, I am more specifically interested in Nikola Tesla's work. I am fairly young(15 years of age), and I do not know where to begin learning about electricity. I would eventually like to understand how and why Tesla's ideas worked. But first I must learn the basics. I am completely in the dark about how to start learning about electricity. I'd like to begin with having complete understanding of how electricity is made, not just the process, but WHY the process works. I want to know the laws, the theories, the conditions, the materials used, and anything else relevant to the basic making of electricity. I believe if I can learn the 'ins' and the 'outs' of that, I'll be able to take my research further because I will have my feet wet.

So, to wrap this up, I am looking for reliable websites and/or sources that I may learn basic 'electricity things(I do not know a better way of putting that)', or some tips and ideas of where else to start from someone who is obviously far more educated in this field.

If you want to know WHY the process really works, you're in for a lifetime of study. You're embarking on a fascinating journey... I still can't believe electricity and semiconductors work!

TheSatirist,

This tutorial is a brief introduction to the concepts of charge, voltage, and current. This tutorial is not as long and tedious as a college textbook, yet it contains more information than students are likely to find in an elementary schoolbook.
http://www.swansontec.com/set.html

I first learned electronics in U. S. Navy schools, so I am a little biased. If anyone is serious about learning electricity and electronics, this free downloadable book is the best choice possible!

“Here is the "Electricity - Basic Navy Training Courses" (NAVPERS 10622) in its entirety. It should provide one of the Internet's best resources for people seeking a basic electricity course - complete with examples worked out (links to quizzes at end of chapters).

Electricity - Basic Navy Training Courses
NAVPERS 10622
PREFACE
This book is intended as a basic reference for all enlisted men of the Navy whose duties require them to have a knowledge of the fundamentals of electricity.”
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/Electricity%20-%20Basic%20Navy%20Training%20Courses/electricity%20-%20basic%20navy%20training%20courses.htm

I wish you good luck along your path to more knowledge.
Bobbywhy

Last edited by a moderator:
TheSatirist said:

If it's the foundational understanding you're looking to start with (which is a good thing since most people want to learn how to design a computer in a few hours with no prior electrical knowledge) I would advise you to begin with some physics. At 15 I don't know that you'll be able to follow the mathematics (though, you might, I don't know) but you can certainly get the concepts without having to concern yourself with tedious derivations. If electric generation and Tesla are areas of interest, pay special attention to the relation of electricity and magnetism (search Maxwell if you're feeling brave one day); this is crucial, basic understanding to have for generation.

I'll give you the very foundational idea: electricity, current, is the flow of charge. Charges are fundamental "particles" called electrons. Electrons are the tiny particles that whirl around the nucleus of an atom in a thing called the "electron cloud". When electrons flow, you get current; hence, electricity. This is very basic, and, if you stick with it, you'll learn that there are a lot of different permutations that would only serve to confuse you were I to try and explain them now.

At any rate...start with basic physics. Look for MIT electricity and magnetism on youtube, assuming you have adequate internet connection, prof. Lewin has a knack for explanation. Like I said, right now you don't "need" to know calculus or differential equations to "get" electricity; but, eventually, should you choose to pursue a career in engineering, you will need to learn those things. If you stick with it, by the time you get in your engineering classes you'll be light-years ahead of your fellow classmates. When I started in my EE program, I didn't even know the difference in voltage and current. It was almost sad.

Oh, oh, and, one more thing, something you seem to have already figured out, COME TO PHYSICS FORUM. There will be someone that can answer pretty much any question you have.

"MIT electricity and magnetism"

Bobbywhy said:
TheSatirist,

This tutorial is a brief introduction to the concepts of charge, voltage, and current. This tutorial is not as long and tedious as a college textbook, yet it contains more information than students are likely to find in an elementary schoolbook.
http://www.swansontec.com/set.html

I first learned electronics in U. S. Navy schools, so I am a little biased. If anyone is serious about learning electricity and electronics, this free downloadable book is the best choice possible!

“Here is the "Electricity - Basic Navy Training Courses" (NAVPERS 10622) in its entirety. It should provide one of the Internet's best resources for people seeking a basic electricity course - complete with examples worked out (links to quizzes at end of chapters).

Electricity - Basic Navy Training Courses
NAVPERS 10622
PREFACE
This book is intended as a basic reference for all enlisted men of the Navy whose duties require them to have a knowledge of the fundamentals of electricity.”
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/Electricity%20-%20Basic%20Navy%20Training%20Courses/electricity%20-%20basic%20navy%20training%20courses.htm

I wish you good luck along your path to more knowledge.
Bobbywhy

WOW! Those links are awesome! Thank you. Especially the Navy course.

I suggest that Tesla's work is not the best way into learning about modern electronics. Although he had some successes (as his non technical followers will always tell you), there was a lot of very speculative and unfounded stuff publicised by him (including a number of patents that have never been made to work).
If you are interested in him and his as a piece of history then go ahead - but after getting a better grounding from more conventional sources. What you learn from him could well put your learning back by several decades.

Tesla seems to have got obsessed with the idea of resonance and went a little bonkers.

Read about his life but be aware there is no conspiracy to hide his inventions.
You might also enjoy reading a biography of his contemporary Steinmetz who was equally influential in electrifying America and didn't go off the deep end. "Modern Jupiter" is a good one

Both those guys were the first ones figuring out practical electricity and magnetism so their writings are not easy to understand - educators have over the last 125 years developed logical ways of presenting the science. You'll find old books interesting to appreciate how those guys struggled with the unknown
but i think you'll progress faster if you stick to nuts&bolts stuff that's written to instruct not to present 1880's research ..

If you see an old RCA Receiving Tube Manual --- grab it.

old jim

jim hardy said:
Tesla seems to have got obsessed with the idea of resonance and went a little bonkers.

Read about his life but be aware there is no conspiracy to hide his inventions.
You might also enjoy reading a biography of his contemporary Steinmetz who was equally influential in electrifying America and didn't go off the deep end. "Modern Jupiter" is a good one

Both those guys were the first ones figuring out practical electricity and magnetism so their writings are not easy to understand - educators have over the last 125 years developed logical ways of presenting the science. You'll find old books interesting to appreciate how those guys struggled with the unknown
but i think you'll progress faster if you stick to nuts&bolts stuff that's written to instruct not to present 1880's research ..

If you see an old RCA Receiving Tube Manual --- grab it.

old jim

You could probably build an interossiter from that! lol

sophiecentaur said:
You could probably build an interossiter from that! lol

Interesting thought. We should have put a copy in Voyager with the Chuck Berry record.

golden_rec_sidebar.gif

1. What exactly is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that is created by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons. It is responsible for powering most of the devices we use in our daily lives, from light bulbs to computers.

2. Where can I find reliable resources to learn about electricity?

There are many reputable sources online that provide information and resources on learning about electricity. Some suggestions include educational websites, online courses, and scientific journals. It is important to ensure that the sources you are using are credible and from reputable institutions.

3. What are the basic principles of electricity?

Electricity is governed by a few key principles, including voltage, current, resistance, and power. Voltage is the force that pushes electrons through a circuit, while current is the flow of electrons. Resistance is the measure of how difficult it is for electrons to flow through a material. Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or used.

4. How can I apply my knowledge of electricity in real life?

Understanding the principles of electricity can be useful in a variety of fields, such as engineering, technology, and renewable energy. You can also use your knowledge to troubleshoot and fix electrical issues in your home, or to design and build your own electronic devices.

5. What is the best way to start learning about electricity?

The best way to start learning about electricity is to begin with the basics, such as understanding the principles and components of electrical circuits. You can also experiment with simple circuits using a breadboard and basic electronic components. As you gain knowledge and experience, you can move on to more complex concepts and projects.