Conquering the Physics GRE Section 1.1 Prob. 3

In summary: What you're trying to do is to find the smallest value of F such that there is no motion between the two blocks. When you draw the free-body diagrams, you'll see that the blocks are stuck together if the applied force F is sufficiently small. If F is too small, the smaller block will move with respect to the larger block. You're trying to find the minimum value of F that will cause the smaller block to stay in place with respect to the larger block.
coca-cola

Homework Statement

Two blocks of masses M and m are oriented as shown in the diagram. The block M moves on a surface with coefficient of kinetic friction μ_1, and the coefficient of static friction between two blocks is μ_2. What is the minimum force F which must be applied to M such that m remains stationary relative to M?

The diagram essentially looks like Utah rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

Homework Equations

∑F=ma
F_f = F_N * μ

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew force diagrams for both objects and summed up the forces, as is standard with these problems. My answer was:

g * (μ_1 * M + (m / μ_2))

The book tells you the correct answer and this is not it. I have triple checked my diagrams but I can't find my error.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
coca-cola said:
The diagram essentially looks like Utah rotated 90 degrees clockwise.
:biggrin:

coca-cola said:
What is the minimum force F ...

Did you mean to say "What is the maximum force ...?" (Or am I misunderstanding the problem?)
Edit:
TSny said:
Does the attached diagram correctly show the configuration?

Ahh, that diagram makes more sense as to why they asked for the minimum (I was imagining utah rotated 90 degrees in the other direction)

Last edited:
Hello, coca-cola.

To help you find your error, we'll need to see the details of your work. You might start by describing the force diagrams.

How many forces do you have acting on M? Can you describe the nature of each force and the direction of each force?

Same questions for the forces acting on m.

Does the attached diagram correctly show the configuration?

Attachments

• two blocks.png
    two blocks.png
    497 bytes · Views: 827
The attached diagram is a correct representation and it states "...minimum force F..." in the problem. I have three forces on the smaller block:

Force to the right exerted by the bigger block
Gravity downwards
The frictional force that keeps the block up upwards

On the larger block, 5 forces:

Gravity downwards
Normal force upwards
Applied force to the right
Force from the smaller block to the left
Frictional force to the left

coca-cola said:
The attached diagram is a correct representation and it states "...minimum force F..." in the problem. I have three forces on the smaller block:

Force to the right exerted by the bigger block
Gravity downwards
The frictional force that keeps the block up upwards

Good

On the larger block, 5 forces:

Gravity downwards
Normal force upwards
Applied force to the right
Force from the smaller block to the left
Frictional force to the left

I think there is one more force on the larger block. Can you identify it?

The only one that I can think of is a frictional force exerted downward on the larger block. Is this correct?

Yes. Good.

Haha yes! Thank you very much!

You're welcome. That's a nice exercise.

1. How can I improve my performance on the Physics GRE Section 1.1 Prob. 3?

The best way to improve your performance on this problem is to practice solving similar problems. Familiarize yourself with the concepts and equations involved in projectile motion and practice applying them to different scenarios. Additionally, make sure to carefully read the problem and identify all given information before attempting to solve it.

2. What are the key concepts tested in Physics GRE Section 1.1 Prob. 3?

This problem tests your understanding of projectile motion, including concepts like initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and projectile trajectory. It also requires you to apply basic trigonometry and kinematics equations.

3. How much time should I spend on Physics GRE Section 1.1 Prob. 3?

The amount of time you should spend on this problem depends on your individual pacing and problem-solving abilities. However, it is recommended to spend no more than 5 minutes on this problem. If you find yourself spending significantly more time, it may be beneficial to move on and come back to it later.

4. Can I use a calculator on Physics GRE Section 1.1 Prob. 3?

Yes, you are allowed to use a calculator on the Physics GRE. However, it is important to note that this problem can be solved without a calculator using basic algebra and trigonometry. Using a calculator may also slow you down and waste valuable time.

5. Are there any specific test-taking strategies for Physics GRE Section 1.1 Prob. 3?

One strategy for this problem is to draw a diagram and label all given information before attempting to solve. This can help you visualize the problem and better understand the situation. Additionally, make sure to check your units and equations for consistency and accuracy throughout the problem.