Question about steam pressure and velocity

In summary, there is a problem with a natural gas fueled boiler rated at 2,000,000 BTU that supplies heat to an indoor pool through a heat exchanger. Over a 2-year period, the steam coming into the heat exchanger at 40 psi has caused a hole in the copper heat exchanger, possibly due to corrosion or erosion. The BTU rating does not directly affect the pressure or velocity of the steam in the system. The issue may also be caused by the combination of copper and steel without a dielectric fitting. It is important to note the exact location of the hole and the type of heat exchanger being used.
RHorseUSMC
I am trying to figure out a problem we are having with a steam boiler. First, it is a natural gas fueled boiler rated at 2,000,000 BTU. In the summer time, the boiler supplies heat to the indoor pool through a heat exchanger. There is approximately 10 ft of 1 inch black iron pipe feeding into the top of of the copper heat exchanger. The problem is that over a 2-year period the steam coming into the heat exchanger @ 40 psi has cut a hole into the heat exchanger. My question is does velocity have any part in this? Someone had told me that do to the size of the boiler (2,000,000 BTU) and the size of the pipe feeding the heat exchanger, the velocity of the of the steam is higher and therefore creating a hole in the heat exchanger. Is there a formula to figure this or can anyone just explain it to me. Thank you--Rick

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, the BTU rating has very little to do with the pressure/velocity of the steam in the system (ie, a vastly oversized boiler would simply fire less often and produce roughly the same pressure/velocity). What you have there is probably due to corrosion.

Where is the hole, exactly? I'm pretty sure that copper and steel are the metals that don't work-and-play-well-with-others in plumbing. Ie, if you put them near each other without a dielectric fitting to separate them, they will create a galvanic cell and quickly dissolve the steel.

Last edited:
It could very well be an erosion issue. Usually a heat exchanger won't be made entirely out of copper, just the core. Where exactly is the hole in the heat exchanger? Does it happen at a 90° bend? I am imagining a shell and tube heat exchanger. Is this correct?

Please don't double-post.

1. What is the relationship between steam pressure and velocity?

The relationship between steam pressure and velocity is known as the "Bernoulli's principle," which states that as the steam pressure increases, the velocity also increases. This is because the high pressure pushes the steam molecules closer together, causing them to move faster.

2. How does steam pressure affect the performance of a steam turbine?

Steam pressure is a crucial factor in determining the performance of a steam turbine. Higher steam pressure means more energy available to turn the turbine blades, resulting in higher power output. However, too much pressure can also cause damage to the turbine, so it must be carefully controlled.

3. Can steam pressure and velocity be changed independently?

Yes, steam pressure and velocity can be changed independently. The pressure can be adjusted by controlling the amount of steam entering the system, while the velocity can be altered by changing the size and shape of the nozzle or by adding obstacles in the steam flow.

4. What is the ideal steam pressure and velocity for efficient energy production?

The ideal steam pressure and velocity for efficient energy production depend on various factors, such as the type of steam turbine, the design of the power plant, and the type of fuel used. Generally, a higher pressure and velocity result in higher energy production, but it is essential to find the optimal balance to prevent damage to the equipment.

5. How does steam pressure and velocity affect the safety of a steam system?

High steam pressure and velocity can pose a safety hazard if not properly controlled. Excessive pressure can lead to explosions or equipment failure, while high velocity can cause erosion and damage to the piping system. It is crucial to regularly monitor and maintain the appropriate pressure and velocity levels to ensure the safety of the steam system.